The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was thinking about setting up a two part sump on my 150g I have no room for a big tank like a 55g below it. I was going to take a 10 gallon make it a fuge and run a pipe from the fuge to a 20 gallon with my heater, skimmer,bubble trap and return pump does anyone know if this would work or has anyone here attempted it
Any help would be greatly apppreciated

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would skip the fuge. I don't think a 10 gallon would really be that effective in your system. A good maintenance program can take the place of a fuge. I'm sure others have their opinion.

A 20 long would work at getting some equipment out of the tank, and allowing you to use a really good skimmer. In sump/external skimmers are way more effective at removing waste than a HOB skimmer.

·
Registered
600 Posts
+1.

Are you actually going to use the area as a refugium to segregate and protect critters from those in the DT? Or will this be a detritus collection area (settling tank)? Or perhaps filtration with LR and macro (live sump)?

I measured the interior of my cabinet to determine what physical size I could accommodate, then found a tank from here that fit the bill.

I ended up with a 29g under a 75g tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts