The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They came in at 2:30 this morning. I saw them at 6 and they look great. Here is the press release:
<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p
Two new additions – Trixie and Alice – joined Ralph and Norton, two males, in the Aquarium’s Ocean Voyager exhibit, a 6.2 million gallon habitat. Alice, 13 feet 10 inches long, and Trixie, 15 feet 5 inches long, were flown more than 8,000 miles on a specially configured UPS B-747 freighter from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
GEORGIA</ST1
Taipei</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Taiwan</st1:country-region>, through <st1:City w:st="on">Anchorage</st1:City> to Atlanta <ST1:punder the care and supervision of Georgia Aquarium professional staff and a highly advanced marine life support system. UPS and the Aquarium had teamed up exactly one year ago to transport the two males to <st1:City w:st="on">Atlanta</st1:City> from <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pTaipei.</ST1:p</st1:City><O:p</O:p

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
kappaknight said:
Wow... weren't people complaining that the tank was too small for two whale sharks and now there's four? That outta be REAL interesting.

The tank is designed for 6 adult Whale Sharks, There is plenty of room. I spent the last 5 hours working that gallery. I am exhausted and whale sharked out!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I didn't know the difference between the females. I know alice is the shorter one.

Todd,
What's the difference in marking?

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Alice is the smallest at 13'10". She is perfectly white underneath (or so it appears). Also she is a lot lighter. Almost a milky grey in color. Trixie is 15' 4". If you look at her right side around her anal fin there is a black blotch like a circle under her. Of course Ralph and Norton, everyone can tell apart.

Todd

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Sweet I wish I was somewhere cool. MN sucks It has to be the furthest place away from surrounding oceans. Time to start packing. Thanks for sharing, Steve

·
Registered
461 Posts
i saw some black tips in the reef tank too, are they new?

i also noticed that giant octo has a new tank...

·
Registered
372 Posts
MattTVI said:
i saw some black tips in the reef tank too, are they new?

i also noticed that giant octo has a new tank...
The black tips have been in the reef tank since the behind the scenes tour. I think they usually hang out in the mangroves spot during the day and come out to the reef area at night when the waves are stopped. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i think i remember watching a special on reefs that said the black tips will hunt at night, but i was just there a few hrs ago and they were there, swimming around. it could've been that somebody was cleaning over by their end of the tank... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
smeese said:
Sweet I wish I was somewhere cool. MN sucks It has to be the furthest place away from surrounding oceans. Time to start packing. Thanks for sharing, Steve
Know what you mean...I'm bordering you in ND.

Too bad they didn't have the girls there for SWU...that would have been cool to see 4 of them. But from the sounds of things on CNN's site, they will be there for a while....so maybe next year. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts