The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been lurking in this section of the forums for a while now, but haven't had an excuse to post here until today. First, I should give a little background.

I've got a 55 gal tank that's been running for about 2 months. I've currently got two 18w normal output lights (terrible for corals, I know) on the tank. I've also got some button polyps, a small pipe organ frag, and a kenya tree that have been quite happy for about a month now. As soon as the tank was ready for a cleanup crew, I added a few softies too. I was going to wait longer, but the lfs insisted that my water quality and lights were fine for a few hardy soft corals.

After ordering some new lights (4 bulb t5 ho fixture) online, I went shopping for some zoanthids and came across a deal that I just couldn't pass up. The lfs had just cut up a huge colony of duncans and were selling 4-5 head frags for $20. I figured they'd go quick so I grabbed one. The one that I bought was closed at the store, and when I got it home it immediately opened up to reveal 7 heads. I was pretty psyched! Definately a great deal!

Whew, that was a long-winded background story! But still nothing compared to the one in another section of these forums... So here's my questions:

1. The new lights aren't due to arrive for 5 more days. Should I pick up a CF spotlight bulb to shine on the frag for a little extra light to keep it going until then?

2. The bottom of one of the heads is a bit shriveled on the bottom. It also has a small discoloration on the side, like it may have been a bit damaged in transport. Should I be worried, and is there anything I should do? I'm probably overreacting, but it's my first really cool coral so I want it to do well.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I wold get an iodine based coral dip and dip the coral to reduce the risk of infection from the wound. Then place the coral near the top of the tank. Even lights like yours can support corals, IF you can get them close enough. Especially for a short period of time.

If you haven't picked up the coral yet, I would agree with Dragonist.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've already got the coral in my tank, so I'll just pick up some lugols and give it a dip. I knew it was a bit of a risk when I picked up the frag, but 7 heads for $20 was too irresistable to pass up and I didn't think their supply of frags would last long. I figured it was worth a shot.

On the bright side, it seems happy. It opened up within minutes of going into the tank, and it readily accepted mysis shrimp yesterday.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Cool! They aren't high light demanding corals, so I think you should be fine. If you feed it often, it should grow like a weed.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
that's awesome...i want a duncan coral. but my lfs sell them at an incredably high price:( congrats on your find!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I would leave at least 3" around the coral. They grow up and out. Large colonies grow in a tabling form.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts