The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chris 3 level nightmare

:drool:The new set up will be one 100 G starfire tanks and on top an 80 G split in two sections containing the Macro-Algae biotope with my sea horses,shrimps crabs and other critters. The second section will contain a scorpio or leaf fish and Anglers and what ever can survive with them, both section in Macro Algae environment. At the base of the Steel stand a 70G sump with equipments. The central Reef tank will have LED light for my LPS only tank , got burned with SPS a Closed loop because i want an anemone in there the last one with power-heads got moooshed ,lol so that my constructive project for the next few months . From the deep ends my friends.

:bawling:Well I've been gone from the gig foralmost 10 years:worm: or so any suggestions about skimmers, pumps and the LED would be appreciated.:help:

:blob: -Skimmer i hear Octopus lots of time...

THIS WAS THE LAST TIME AT THE BEGINNING.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
We can go crazy with recommendations... so crazy with diamond studded sump-pumps and color changing LED lit protein skimmers... ok only the skimmer is real ;) What is your pricepoint/budget?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We can go crazy with recommendations... so crazy with diamond studded sump-pumps and color changing LED lit protein skimmers... ok only the skimmer is real ;) What is your pricepoint/budget?
My budget is $ 3000 the two tanks are $ 200 each before drilling and fittings. The lighting for what i've seen right now is about $ 500 i don't need a disco in there , the last time i lost 12 000 worth of sps so only LPS this time. Thanks for your input.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
My budget is $ 3000 the two tanks are $ 200 each before drilling and fittings. The lighting for what i've seen right now is about $ 500 i don't need a disco in there , the last time i lost 12 000 worth of sps so only LPS this time. Thanks for your input.
Ok, well I am undergoing that SPS to LPS transition as well.

Well, for your sized tank(s), you have a lot of skimmer options. Octopus (since you mentioned it above) is one of the better values and you will not really give up performance with going with an Octo over a premium skimmer. The only real difference is the build quality of the body and the robustness of the materials. Now, if you consider the point of the skimmer to sit still (or you tend to treat everything as delicate), then the thinner acrylic is not much of an issue. If you want the premium build, there is nothing wrong with it either... you just will not find the performance gap between the budget orient skimmers that there once was.

For the Octopus, look into the Super Reef Octopus 3000 and 5000 models depending on how much capacity you want. Also check out the new DC pump-driven option (Diablo DC 200INT). Cost should be $450-600-ish

Lighting: How comfortable are you with building your own LED array?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well I am undergoing that SPS to LPS transition as well.

Well, for your sized tank(s), you have a lot of skimmer options. Octopus (since you mentioned it above) is one of the better values and you will not really give up performance with going with an Octo over a premium skimmer. The only real difference is the build quality of the body and the robustness of the materials. Now, if you consider the point of the skimmer to sit still (or you tend to treat everything as delicate), then the thinner acrylic is not much of an issue. If you want the premium build, there is nothing wrong with it either... you just will not find the performance gap between the budget orient skimmers that there once was.

For the Octopus, look into the Super Reef Octopus 3000 and 5000 models depending on how much capacity you want. Also check out the new DC pump-driven option (Diablo DC 200INT). Cost should be $450-600-ish

Lighting: How comfortable are you with building your own LED array?

Hey thanks for the info as for building the LED i can touch almost anything else but electicity is not one of them, scared of it like the plague. I wouldn't trust myself with it or couldn't sleep. :eek4:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I found it easy enough... and I am not overly practical.

For pre-fab units I would suggest looking into the AI Vegas but two of those units will cost about $900-1000 I think. That is why I was looking toward DIY LEDs since it fit better within your budget.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found it easy enough... and I am not overly practical.

For pre-fab units I would suggest looking into the AI Vegas but two of those units will cost about $900-1000 I think. That is why I was looking toward DIY LEDs since it fit better within your budget.
Oh, no just one. One is a reef tank the other is an ordinary macro-algae biotope for my seahorses shrimps, crabs a critters. no snails. So good old lighting set for that one lol. The first sump contains my equipment, sending the return into the second 75 G on top flowing down into the main central reef tank. The loop pump sends directly into the main central reef tank . The 30G sump in the base will be empty clean no sand nothing. The top 75 tank will have miracle mud , sand and several species of macro-algae growing in with relatively moderate flow . So i think 600- $750 for lights is reasonable for both.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
OK. Well, look into a few of the LED buidls hanging around TRT and then check out the various pre-fab units. AI Vega, Radions, Maxzerra, Kessel, Acan, and there might be a few others but otherwise you have a lot of good choices but quality "budget" LED are still far, far behind the bigger/expensive units.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. Well, look into a few of the LED buidls hanging around TRT and then check out the various pre-fab units. AI Vega, Radions, Maxzerra, Kessel, Acan, and there might be a few others but otherwise you have a lot of good choices but quality "budget" LED are still far, far behind the bigger/expensive units.
Thank i appreaciate any help and suggestion, i've been away a long time so i have no idea where to look now. All avenue are good for me . If i can save i will, but safety is prime for me. I'll put it another way. The last time not only did i loose thousands of dollards worth of stuff and corals but my RO reserve tank 67 gallons bursted open floaded the Condos below me and the insurance cost for all this when to court$$$$$$ needless to say LOL LOL i'm laughing now man but boy i cryed then lol:bawling:. So no short cut , and no messes. :jester:

What kind of lights for the biotope would you go for on this one, what type ? coralife Aqualight dual T5 lamp hight output kind?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The plans

The plan so far

The pump At$200 its a steal
Poseidon Blue Line Velocity Series Velocity Pump T3

This Blue Line External Water Pump is the exact equivalent of the Poseidon PS3.
850 GPH
The worlds quietest and only titanium centrifugal pumps

Pump Curve Ratio Stats:
Model Velocity T3
Max Head 28′ MAX HEAD
Flow 850gph @ 0′
In 3/4″ MPT
Out 3/4″ MPT
Watts 140 WATTS
Pressure Rated: Yes
Includes Drive Magnetic Shaft with Impeller

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your not serious

Probably dont wanna combine a macro algae tank with a reef one. It will be an iteresting build no doubt, Good Luck!!!

Sorry but i can't take your citation seriously, really you dump this here and then you run?? No why no explanations, really, if you have legitimate concerns or reasons to say something about someone elses projects don't hit and run , be a man say whats on your mind your concerns you experiences , if you took the time to rain on my parade at least take the time to say why you did it. Otherwise don't bother to stop at all if its not to help. Goodbye and good riddence!!!:lol:

Anyone else wants to be that helpfull. If i do something wrong please tell me and have the curtacy of telling me why or how to fix it , a link, and i'll do the same if i see you having a problem in the future and i have the info you seek. I beleive thats why those forum exist. Not to put people down . Thank you all .:biggrinbounce:

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Sorry, I left you like that! I had to leave the computer for the moment and for got to come back, silly me. Pretty much macro algae is not the great nutrient export we here about, they may bind the nutrients for a short while, but they wont keep nitrates or phosphates down at all. When they die and get decomposed the decomposers (over simplifying) must use oxygen and all the nutrients the algae is binding is released and oxygen levels become low. Refugiums may add elevated pod levels, but very few return to the tank, staying safe in the refugium.

Now I know your tank is not necessarily a "Refugium" but I'm sure you can understand my concerns. I'm not trying to diss your project, infact I subscribed. I hope you tank does well, and your project is a success!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I left you like that! I had to leave the computer for the moment and for got to come back, silly me. Pretty much macro algae is not the great nutrient export we here about, they may bind the nutrients for a short while, but they wont keep nitrates or phosphates down at all. When they die and get decomposed the decomposers (over simplifying) must use oxygen and all the nutrients the algae is binding is released and oxygen levels become low. Refugiums may add elevated pod levels, but very few return to the tank, staying safe in the refugium.

Now I know your tank is not necessarily a "Refugium" but I'm sure you can understand my concerns. I'm not trying to diss your project, infact I subscribed. I hope you tank does well, and your project is a success!
Oh ok , jump the gun, lol . Sorry about that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok i first post a appology reply to your kind words to be able to formulate this comming answer. I understand your concerne very much so, i have them too. This is actually my experiement, and my interest. Now the tank will be devided in two actually. These two biotopes are made for two different population, one is peacefull, the seahorses and manderin, and the other the anglers and scorpios, or leaf fish. Crabs and shrimps with the horses and will see what survives the anglers really. Lots are crying no mud, i'm doing it for the substrate not for the magic, plus the pods loves it.

The diying algae i usually take out before any decay and i trim often giving it to tang . I also suppliment my oxygen with an extra pump. And between my refugium and the reef i have a 2 micron sock that i clean every day so i control what goes in the main tank, the pods will be added manualy no algae, thats not where i want them, no crabs , no snails etc. I have a similar sock at the end of the main drain to give a hand to y skimmer. The sump is completey clear no rock no sand nothing to clean no lights, just the equipments. Thansk again for your honesty and sorry again for the misunderstanding

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think this is a really cool idea and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. I'm in the process of working on a macro algae tank myself. I think one thing you're going to have trouble with down the road is balancing the needs if the two systems. Your macro biotype system will require high nutrients to thrive while for the most part a reef needs a low nutrient system. That being said I still think it can work as basically you're creating a massive display refugium. All you have to do is properly maintain it and I think you'll be able to prevent any excessive nutrient issues that would harm your reef. Also there are a number of slow growing macros that would be better suited to your system as they won't require the excess nutrients to grow. Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think this is a really cool idea and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. I'm in the process of working on a macro algae tank myself. I think one thing you're going to have trouble with down the road is balancing the needs if the two systems. Your macro biotype system will require high nutrients to thrive while for the most part a reef needs a low nutrient system. That being said I still think it can work as basically you're creating a massive display refugium. All you have to do is properly maintain it and I think you'll be able to prevent any excessive nutrient issues that would harm your reef. Also there are a number of slow growing macros that would be better suited to your system as they won't require the excess nutrients to grow. Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress.
Thanks, i have a dirty little secret, first i don't plan on having any extra nutrient in my system water for my plants, the second is that i have a nursery for macro algae to start them off real good and make them grow to a noticebla size then transplant them to the big display tank to maintain their size. The dirty tank or nursery will be far more concentrated in nutrient with no live stock just plenty of light and soup.Beside its a variety of the species and ecosystem that interest me. Some may need help to continue because of the lack of elements that can be localised fairely easely , grouping your special need algae is another trick, bagging is another.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh nice sounds like you have a plan then. As I've been researching keeping macros I've found that they are in a way just like keeping corals just with different needs. It's very interesting.

Yes my last one with seahorses was terrific, i had to give it up because of many reasons and it was going very well. The relationship between the horses and the plants are extremely interesting and hypnitic, much more than a reef i would say because its much more obvious and close. the same with anglers they camouflage themselves in it and are ver still . Plus having that kind of biotope give you the oportunity to keep some good cleaners at your fingertips, you can transfer what you want and ned from tank to tank in the amount you want, within reasons.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok well now it looks like the floor plan that I've obtain from the city archives shows the floors to be reinforced concrete 6 inches thick, OUFFF. That's a relief!! My tanks are now side by sides in an "L" shape position with the 72 inch long 6 feet 19" high Rimless , 28" from the floor on one side and the display refugium , Rimless on a custom steel stand 6 feet high on the other side dumping by gravity into the reef tank. The sump will be under the fuge , I have lots of room. Now since the fuge is no longer on top of the main reef tank I've scale down to a 48x18x21 =75G starphire display tank and the sump being under a six feet stand can be large, so a 90 G is perfect, can be splash proof and contain any future equipment .Sorry for lots of delays. Expecting these custom tanks and stand for September now lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts