The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three level system aquariums and a lot of questions

Ok first its been years since i've been doing this and everything has changed, for the better it seems. As an idea when i left LED was just experimental.

So my tanks; Budget $ 6 000

-The main central Reef tank a LPS only ; got burned the last time with SP so LPS only ,fish and snails no crabs. Programable LED. Filtering ; 1" 1/2 wide coast to coast oveflow and an exterior box of 30 " X 5" wide X 5" deep.

-The top tank ; a 80G will be a split tank Macro-algae biotope part of the filtration system a seahorses, crabs, shrimps,shocase with miracle mud and sand bed. T5 lighting for algae.

- The sump, a clean no light 70 G tank with all the equipment.

Here's the plans so far.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more details

The pump now will be either a

Blueline 30 HD External Aquarium Water Pump by Pan World.

**** Blueline Water Pumps - Flow Curves ****

These pumps are designed and built by a former chief engineer from Iwaki-Japan.
They feature the same flow curves, high head pressure, low noise, and reliability that have made Iwaki the best magnetic drive pumps available.
The BlueLine HD pumps are even slightly quieter than Iwaki, with a lower frequency.
These units are yellow rather than green and carry a full 2 Year parts and labor guarantee.
All seal-free bearings and magnetic drive for 10+ years of useable life. No seals to leak!

30HD Specifications:

- Inlet: 3/4" MPT
- Outlet: 3/4" MPT
- Max Total Head (FT): 16.5
- Max Discharge (GPH) @ 0ft: 590
- Input (W): 90
- Length(in): 10
- Width(in): 4
- Height(in): 5

Or a Reeflo BlowHole BH 850 3-Speed External Water Pump.

Tired of those loud, whiny pumps? The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> runs silent and has three adjustable speeds.

Unique features:
3-Speed Adjustable Flow switch

The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> pumps by ReeFlo feature a unique 3-speed AdjustaFlow switch that allows you to instantly choose flow rates, pressure and watt draw from three different settings. Cut the flow and watt draw in half during the night or at feeding time and then instantly switch back when desired.

Very Low Heat Transfer
The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> pumps feature a FlowThru design that prevents the water from picking up motor heat while churning inside the pump head. The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> uses an aluminum cast motor which dissipates heat before it can reach the water.

Nearly Silent Operation
The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> pumps employ graphite motor bearings to ensure the quietest operation. You will have to put your ear near it to hear it.

Features:
  • Unique 3-speed AdjustaFlow switch
  • FlowThru Design
  • Nearly Silent operation
  • Less than 6”x6”x6” footprint
  • 1”x 1” threaded fittings
  • 2 Year replacement warranty
BH1450

• Ideal for tanks from 100 to 150 gallons
  • Pressure rated-Up to 30’ of max head pressure
  • Runs Silent
  • Great for installers who require a pump that can be easily adjusted in the field to various tank sizes

·
Zombie Maker
872 Posts
Looks like an awesome setup. One thing to keep in mind. during a power outage or a pump failure, make sure you have enough available space in the sump to take all the extra water from both tanks and run your return over the top of the glass. Or make sure you have a top notch check valve. Everything else looks good. Looking forward to watching this one come to life.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like an awesome setup. One thing to keep in mind. during a power outage or a pump failure, make sure you have enough available space in the sump to take all the extra water from both tanks and run your return over the top of the glass. Or make sure you have a top notch check valve. Everything else looks good. Looking forward to watching this one come to life.

I got it!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few changes

A was told that i didn't really had a closed loop but only a good return system cause i was missing my feeds for the loop so i modified that here goes.

Right underneath the overflow box , the color schem is not great sorry but their there. The mega drain will be a air channel 2" in diameter couple with the two loop feed under the box, that will feed the main pump directly at the intake. The pump is massive cause i was told to buy a far superior pump than the job needed to get a better results, and for the price the one i chose is as much as those who do much less, its a
Poseidon Blue Line Velocity Series Velocity Pump T3

This Blue Line External Water Pump is the exact equivalent of the Poseidon PS3.
The worlds quietest and only titanium centrifugal pumps
Pump Curve Ratio Stats:
Model Velocity T3
Max Head 28′ MAX HEAD
Flow 850gph @ 0′
In 3/4″ MPT
Out 3/4″ MPT
Watts 140 WATTS
Pressure Rated: Yes
Includes Drive Magnetic Shaft with Impeller

At this price $ 200 its a steal ;

In action with a cooling little fan

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No More Production

The blue line velocity is nolonger made so i've change pump; either for a ,

- Reeflow Blowhole BH 850 3 speed

Reeflo BlowHole BH 850 3-Speed External Water Pump.

Tired of those loud, whiny pumps? The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> runs silent and has three adjustable speeds.

Unique features:
3-Speed Adjustable Flow switch

The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> pumps by ReeFlo feature a unique 3-speed AdjustaFlow switch that allows you to instantly choose flow rates, pressure and watt draw from three different settings. Cut the flow and watt draw in half during the night or at feeding time and then instantly switch back when desired.

Very Low Heat Transfer
The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> pumps feature a FlowThru design that prevents the water from picking up motor heat while churning inside the pump head. The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> uses an aluminum cast motor which dissipates heat before it can reach the water.

Nearly Silent Operation
The BlowHole<SUP>TM</SUP> pumps employ graphite motor bearings to ensure the quietest operation. You will have to put your ear near it to hear it.

Features:
  • Unique 3-speed AdjustaFlow switch
  • FlowThru Design
  • Nearly Silent operation
  • Less than 6”x6”x6” footprint
  • 1”x 1” threaded fittings
  • 2 Year replacement warranty
BH1450

• Ideal for tanks from 100 to 150 gallons
  • Pressure rated-Up to 30’ of max head pressure
  • Runs Silent
  • Great for installers who require a pump that can be easily adjusted in the field to various tank sizes

- Blue line 30 HD External pump

Blueline 30 HD External Aquarium Water Pump by Pan World.

**** Blueline Water Pumps - Flow Curves ****

These pumps are designed and built by a former chief engineer from Iwaki-Japan.
They feature the same flow curves, high head pressure, low noise, and reliability that have made Iwaki the best magnetic drive pumps available.
The BlueLine HD pumps are even slightly quieter than Iwaki, with a lower frequency.
These units are yellow rather than green and carry a full 2 Year parts and labor guarantee.
All seal-free bearings and magnetic drive for 10+ years of useable life. No seals to leak!

30HD Specifications:

- Inlet: 3/4" MPT
- Outlet: 3/4" MPT
- Max Total Head (FT): 16.5
- Max Discharge (GPH) @ 0ft: 590
- Input (W): 90
- Length(in): 10
- Width(in): 4
- Height(in): 5

Not sure what to take anybody have one of those.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made some changes first i got a better sketch program lol, still learning how it works so. Here's my coast to coast.

Change the loop, better and closed this time around.

For my Loop

I'll have to change that for a syphon system apparently

These are my loop feed i wonder if i can keep that desing for those

I see that desing everywhere

For the closed loop shouldn't be any problem??:D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A new design program

AHHHH sketch Up great program not yet proficient but getting there

My top tank pull out of the stand

My reef tank pulled out of the stand also with its 1 1/2" wide and 4" deep C2C

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i met my professional guy yesterday. Wow here's the news; No C2C, Over kill for his taste, Skimmer these days takes care of that.Then he says about the connection to my sump No overflow box, too many holes for nothing too expensive and redundant. He's going for tubes in the tank since i'm making two sculpture for the loop i'll integrate them in it. Two 2 inch neighter will be plug at the same time no disaster. So four holes in the bottoms 2x 2" for drains and 2x 1 " for closed loop with 8 acceleration exit . Now that i've illiminated the overflow boxes he wants to make my tank 24" wide instead of 18" so it would be 72"x 24"W x19"H and would still have 6" in the back I dont object but $$$ this is whats going to decide. at 18" the stand alone was $ 2 000 the tank was $ 1200 before drilling....The guy is good and simplefy things very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts