The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my worthless Seaclone skimer with a new Turboflotor 1000 hang-on (on a 55 gal reef, no sump).

Anyway, I started it up about 2-weeks ago between water changes and it worked unbelievably well. Well today, I did a 20% water change, started the new skimmer back up, but the cup fills up almost immediately.

I don't really see any adjustments to control air flow, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad<o:p></o:p>

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
That is the HOB model so this might not work, but with my in-sump model I attached a plastic needle valve ($2.00 for 4 at LFS) to the air tube, I put this on after I do a water change because sometimes mine goes crazy for an hour or two as well.

My skimmers go nuts after a water change, I think bacteria builds up in the new water then the skimmer goes crazy trying to take that out. I would leave it off for a few hours, then try turning it back on and see if it is any better.

There are also 2 knobs on the top of the output risers with little lines on them, this is your wetness control, with the lines facing the outputs the skimmer is as dry as the control allows, with them facing the cup it is set as wet as this control allows. Try and have both knobs in same place.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Whiskey,

Thanks for the tip. It's been about 5 hours since the water change and it’s still doing it. I'll just leave it off for a day and try it again tomorrow.

As for the needle valve, I'm not sure how that would work. If I restrict the air flow any more, the cup fill up immediately, and it appears to already be opened up all the way.

Can you clarify how to use the valve?

Thanks,
Brad<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it's Monday, and I did my water change on Saturday morning. The cup is still filling up with bubbles immediately after I start the skimmer.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, minor success.

I called the dealer that I purchased the skimmer from, and he said that I should try raising the skimmer up about an inch - in effect, lowering the water level. He also said to remove the air tube from the muffler as it restricts air flow.

I did both and it does seem to have helped. The skimmer has been running for an hour and I only have about half an inch of tea-colored liquid in the cup.

Seems like a real pain - especially if this is going to happen every time I do a water change. But at least I can run the skimmer again.

It may settle down a bit after it runs for a while. At that point I may be able to lower it back to normal level.

Thanks for the feedback and responses. I'll keep you posted if things change.

-Brad

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Twitterbait said:
it will take a while to break in. if the cup is filling fast then you either have no air making it into the pump or you have the outflow valves closed too much.
Hi Twitterbait,
Well, the outflow valves are wide open (tried closing too), and the skimmer was working perfectly until I did a water change. Although the skimmer is new, the tank has been up for years.

So, do you mean the skimmer has to break in or the tank?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Oops, missed this one, sorry!

Okay, remove the outflow valves, that will lower your water level a bit more.

I can't clarify the valve any more, I forgot that you only have one pump on that model, mine uses 2, one to feed water in, and one to make bubbles. On yours restricting the air flow means more water flow and a higher water level, on mine it just means less bubbles. (won't work for you)

Clean your venturi, make sure there is no salt buildup in the air line.

Skimmers do have to break in, it takes a couple of weeks to perform like they should.

This won't happen all the time, but it can be a little bit of a trick getting them adjusted right. My skimmers only go crazy for an hour or so after a water change, past that they are fine.

Your skimmer should be at a 15 deg angle if I remember right (check you manual) I don't remember why, but I think this is important.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wiskey said:
Oops, missed this one, sorry!

Okay, remove the outflow valves, that will lower your water level a bit more.

I can't clarify the valve any more, I forgot that you only have one pump on that model, mine uses 2, one to feed water in, and one to make bubbles. On yours restricting the air flow means more water flow and a higher water level, on mine it just means less bubbles. (won't work for you)

Clean your venturi, make sure there is no salt buildup in the air line.

Skimmers do have to break in, it takes a couple of weeks to perform like they should.

This won't happen all the time, but it can be a little bit of a trick getting them adjusted right. My skimmers only go crazy for an hour or so after a water change, past that they are fine.

Your skimmer should be at a 15 deg angle if I remember right (check you manual) I don't remember why, but I think this is important.

HTH,
Whiskey
Thanks, Whisky.

I'll give your suggestions a try. But before I make a mess all over the floor, let me make sure I have this right... When you say "remove the outflow valves, do you mean take them off of the skimmer? The water won't fountain up out of the output tubes?

Also, how often are you guys cleaning the pumps and the skimmer itself? I was a little disappointed to see everything is glued with no apparent way to disassemble for cleaning.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
bradneal said:
Thanks, Whisky.

I'll give your suggestions a try. But before I make a mess all over the floor, let me make sure I have this right... When you say "remove the outflow valves, do you mean take them off of the skimmer? The water won't fountain up out of the output tubes?
99.9 percent of the people with the in-sump model run theirs with the outflow valves removed. I don't think your model is diffrent enough from those to cause a problem here, but be ready to put it back in if it starts squirting you :lol: .

Also, how often are you guys cleaning the pumps and the skimmer itself? I was a little disappointed to see everything is glued with no apparent way to disassemble for cleaning.

Thanks,
Brad
I clean the venturi regularly because it builds up with salt creap, but the pump itself I don't clean much. My skimmer is not glued like you describe, everything comes apart, but it doesn't matter if it leaks a little in the sump either.

There has to be a way to get that pump off, check your manual.

Whiskey

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wiskey said:
I clean the venturi regularly because it builds up with salt creap, but the pump itself I don't clean much. My skimmer is not glued like you describe, everything comes apart, but it doesn't matter if it leaks a little in the sump either.

There has to be a way to get that pump off, check your manual.

Whiskey
No, I'm talking about down in the reaction chamber. The black base is glued to the reaction tube.

The pump comes apart fine.

I assume that by venturi, you are referring to the pump?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
you shouldn't have to clean the skimmer body... only the cup and pump from time to time. the body won't get very dirty because it is carrying the nasty stuff up. the air intake for the turbo is on the back or front of the pump. if your air stops after a change then you need to check it to make sure it is clean. are you running the skimmer in the sump?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Twitterbait said:
you shouldn't have to clean the skimmer body... only the cup and pump from time to time. the body won't get very dirty because it is carrying the nasty stuff up.
That's cool. On my old Sea Clone, even the tube got really nasty down in the bottom chamber, but no way to get to it to clean.

the air intake for the turbo is on the back or front of the pump. if your air stops after a change then you need to check it to make sure it is clean. are you running the skimmer in the sump?
Nope. HOB for now.

If I ever get to set up a 90, I'll then use the skimer in a 30 gal sump.

-Brad

·
Registered
189 Posts
My turbofloater does the same thing if my water level gets to high in my sump, like when I turn off my main pump.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, here is the final observation - at least, I think.

Anyway, I just turned on the skimmer and let it crank the bubbles into the cup. As I said, the cup was filling up very, very quickly. So I grabbed a turkey baster and started drawing the water out of the cup as the skimmer ran.

I had to empty about 2 cups full, and then it began to settle down. It ran all night and filled to about 1/3.

So apparently, life is good again.

Well, with the exception of a brown algae outbreak - but that's another post.

Thanks for all the help on my skimmer problem.

-Brad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts