The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to forum here, but recently set-up my first 55 gal. reef, I have been doing alot of research before set-up but one question I had was, I started with an established freshwater tank for african cichlids, 30 lbs crushed coral and around 70 lbs of live rock, the thing is, I added a few turbo snails and they are devouring all of the algae on the live rock, literally cutting trails across the rock, is this a good thing or should I remove the snails so that the live rock can seed to the rest of the coral pcs. first??

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
Welcome to TRT.

The snails are doing their job. The algae they are devouring is probably not something you want in the tank. They shouldn't be eating any coraline.

How old is the tank? What coral pieces do you have? Did you let the tank cycle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank was set-up with africans and I decided they were breeding way too much, so I removed everything except 30-40 lbs florida crushed coral and about 30 lbs of plain coral peices from LPS, drained 90% of the water refilled and added Instant Ocean reef crystals.. After a couple days to settle down I added 3 damsels, 3 turbo snails, and 2 hermits..Nitrates spiked immediately, after 2 weeks levels are coming down and everything seems in order.. My set-up as of date consist of- 55 gallon tank, aqua-clear 500, Skilter 250, 2 Hagen 70 powerheads, 2X40W Power-glo and 2X20W actinic, 300W submersible heater, digital thermometer. pH 8.1, 77.8F, sg 1.024, nitrates 25ppm...Tank has only been cycling for 2-3 weeks, i'm not adding any livestock until I am for sure that they can survive...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so glad I found this forum, the LPS around here doesn't stock alot of saltwater, and on the same note, doesn't seem to know much about them either...Thank you all for your input, as I said earlier, this is my first attempt...ohhh noooo

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
As stated before, you might want to go ahead and scrap the Crushed coral and replace it with some aragonite sand.

Going from a FW to SW tank and reusing the substrate (especially CC) might lead to problems down the line with phosphates. I see you are testing nitrates....are you testing the ammonia, nitrites and phosphates as well?

As for the turbos, you don't want what they are eating growing in your system anyway......One of the hardest things about this SW hobby is patience, they can sell you everything else! Just not the patience. Good luck, keep on reading and asking more questions.

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I would continue to watch the health of your live stock currently. The damsels are pretty hardy but will come a neusance when you want different fish. You don't need the damsels to help cycle, they are usually hard to catch afterwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts