The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I've read a little about these tunze waveboxes and I think that they're really cool. I personally believe that they would help to suspend detrius. But are they suitable for a 4' tank? Instructions claim NOT to place unit within 19" of and animals living on your rocks. If that's the case...my tank is 4' long 18" wide and I can only use 2' of my tank and dedicate the other 2' to the wavebox???

:fistcash:
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
My Kitty Cleans My Glass!
974 Posts
Not to familiar with that device, but gonna tag along on this one.

Mike

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">James. I agree with the overflows drilled into the center of your tank. That's the point at which the water doesn't fluctuate near as much as it would drilled on the corners. I also have seen them on 4ft tanks but say your display in the 4ft tank takes up 1/2 to 3/4 (rockwork would be centered roughly 6-12" away from wall and then after you add the wavebox it would be only 1 1/2" to 7 1/2" away from rockwork), do you need to rearange things to accomodate this wave box?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

·
Registered
310 Posts
that is a good question, Im not sure why having somthing closer would cause it problems, maybe the oscilation wont set up right if the flow from the stream pump is obstructed close to the box.

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">....can these boxes be used on a timer turned on and off 1 time every day and still have a nice long lifespan? Also for people who have sumps, knowing that the water is not ALWAYS falling into the over flow, your sump water level goes up and down making it hard for an auto top off system to function properly? How would one go about getting around these problems?

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
I have a wave box and I love it. I originally had it on a 4 foot tank and while it didn't make nearly as big of a wave as it did on my 5' and now 6' tank, it still did a great job of keeping everything suspended in the water column. I don't think your going to get a big enough wave in a 4 foot tank to worry about your overflow box not working all the time, I never got any flucuation in my sump. But in the tank I have now the water level flucuates over 3" so I made a custom over flow out of pvc. It has slots on the very top and I drilled the tank so that when the water level comes down to it's lowest point the surface water is sucked throught the slots and when the water raises the overflow is somply under water. This way the overflow never sucks air and when the water level is at it's low point the absolute surface of the water is being sucked down. It's hard to explain but I'll try to get some good pictures tomorrow to illustrate. You do need to have at least 19" of space in front of the box for the water being ejected by the pump to get a good wave going but the box is only 4" wide so you can make a rock structure in front of it and just have the back of your tank open. My tank is only 18" front to back and I was able to fit the wave box and still have a nice rock structure.

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
and yes they can be used with a timer, they also come with a photosensor so you can have the box come on and off with your lights without needing another timer. I wanted it to be on longer than my lights so I have mine on a timer

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jrpdriver that's some good info and your tank looks amazing! I look forward to seeing those pics tomorrow. So I take it that's a pic of your new tank you posted. When your wavebox was in your 4 ft tank, were the waves pretty much very fast because it was such a small tank for a wavebox? I also know that you still need to run your normal powerheads and get you 40x-60x tank turnover for sps, did the box interfere with the powerheads(or cls) you were running?

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey jrpdriver what size tank is in the picture? you have a cls or powerheads? what's you tank turnover for your sps?

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
Yeah thats the new tank, it is a 125g, the dimensions are 72x18x22. I run 4 modded Tunze Nano Streams plus about 700gph from my return. I figure my turnover, not counting the surge from the wave box, is about 65x. I have the powerheads positioned and angled so they actually work with the wave box. If you watch the particles or air bubbles in the water column you can see that the water makes a full "lap" around the tank. Thanks for the compliment, I'll take the pictures when I get off of work.

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
My camera has a little delay so I didn't time it quite right, but you'll get the idea

Upswing

Downswing

The overflow is made from 2 1 inch pvc "t" pieces , conected with1" pipe, I then slotted them on a mill across the top and they hook up to 2 1" drains

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Wow that's really cool! So you planned ahead(of course) and drilled the holes at the perfect height for what size wave? Also do you think if I made that 1" piece of pvc T that you customized, only half the size you have, that would work well for just a 75? Where do you have your pump returns angled in the tank with the wavebox? What kind of timer(aquacontroller jr? tunze timers?) do you have your Tunzes on? All your information is much appreciated and your tank rocks!

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Wow that's really cool! So you planned ahead(of course) and drilled the holes at the perfect height for what size wave? Also do you think if I made that 1" piece of pvc T that you customized, only half the size you have, that would work well for just a 75? Where do you have your pump returns angled in the tank with the wavebox? What kind of timer(aquacontroller jr? tunze timers?) do you have your Tunzes on? All your information is much appreciated and your tank rocks!
Well thanks again. I ran the wavebox with fresh water in the tank before I drilled the holes, I just marked the water line at it's lowest point and then drilled, nothing too scientific. That should be fine for a 75 as long as you have more pipe on each end of the "t" with slots. My wave box shoots down the back of my tank from left to right and my return shoots down the front of my tank from right to left, and I have the nanos positioned to aid both directions, 2 for each side. The wave box is controlled by an ACIII, on at 7:00am off at 12:00 am, and the nanos are on all the time.

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I see....I was thinking of doing something similar. I'm gonna have a sand bed of 2" My octopus nw200 is modded so I'm thinking it can handle 350-450gph, so that's what my returns will be(5X-7x tank turnover) coming off the back of the tank. Then I was thinking(since I have to sleep with the tank in my room) I will use 4 tunze 6025 modded, 1 in each of the top 4 corners of the tank and place them on my aquacontroller jr timers. Does that sound like good flow WITH the wavebox for my sps to thrive in my tank AND so it doesn't stir up the sand like crazy if I position the powerheads correctly?

·
Drain Bamaged
729 Posts
I think you will have a sand storm, you will basically have the same flow as my 125, minus a couple hundred gph on the return. Here's how I figure it

4 modded 6025= 5200gph
return=400 gph
6021(pump inside of the wave box)=2000 gph(moderate estimate from Tunze, keeping in mind that it is not running continuously) You will be over 100x turnover without counting the "surge" the wave box creates

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">So the custom sump "T" outlets are ALWAYS underwater, never pulling any air and you sump is at a consistant water level? So in theory....if I could use your idea on my tank I can use an auto water top off controller for my sump and it would work perfect because gravity will only drain water with the amount of water being pumped back into the tank?

·
Little Broke Fishy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay so your counting the pulse action on the wavebox into the equasion(did I spell that right?)also. Okay so lets say I have 4 Tunzes modded and I only use 2 at a time with my aquacontroller jr timers. Should I not mod them because the pulses from the wavebox are so high?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts