The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of taking my flow to the next lvls and upgrading my 6045's to 6055's with the multcontroller to do some wave action in the tank.

You guys think that this would be worth it? or should I save all the cash and just stick with the non controllable ones.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
controllable ones all the way!!! I updated my 75 from 6045's to 6101's and wow what a difference !

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I personally dont think the price increase is justified. But thats just me. I had this same choice last year, between the 6045s and the 6055s. While its obviously great to have the controllable version, I just dont think it justifies the extra money per. If you just want wave action you can get a wavebox for $400 if you look. And just keep your 6045s.

Have you modified the 6045s yet? I think you'll be real happy with them when you modify them. IMO go for a wave box or some sort of wave box, and forget the 6055s.

JMO

·
Registered
611 Posts
I really like them. Tunze is second to none on quality and customer service. If money is an issue, buy one 6055 and a single controller. For under $300, you will have wave action in the tank. Have it pulse from one side. The waves will bounce off of the glass and interact with the flow of the other powerheads, creating the random wave motion you are looking for.

The wavebox is really cool, but it takes up a bit of space. Depending on the size of our tank, it does take up a fair bit of space inside.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are the 6101's bulky looking? Any pix?
I currently have a Vortec and (2) modded Tunze 6025's. I have been considering switching over to (2) 6101's for my 90.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well right now I have 4 6045's, I was thinking of keeping the the two outer ones on full time like they are now, and then pulsing two 6055's on the inside. I just don't know if a grand is worth it for wave action.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Pix of the older 6100 (about the same as the 6101) and the 7095 controller along with the magnetic mount for the Tunze Stream in a 180USG display for scale:

My take on these is that they are the best of the best for the water movement in your tank, totally puts you in control, and I do/have use(d) other methods and have closed circuits in the tanks, but I don't eed them any more with the Tinzes and the controller, ONly issue is the cost, they ARE EXPENSIVE! with the Dollar as it is evaluated against the Euro...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Tom, are you happy with the amount of flow you have in your tank? Also you have SPS, correct? Im debating between the 6101s and 6201s in the 190 flat tank. trying to gather as many opinions as possible.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Tom, are you happy with the amount of flow you have in your tank? Also you have SPS, correct? Im debating between the 6101s and 6201s in the 190 flat tank. trying to gather as many opinions as possible.
Very Happy, I do not have experience with the updated 61xx or the 62xx streams, but I understand they are small mods to the individual units that may not significantly affect performance (more to upgrade small changes in the devices and improve reliability. There re on-line mods to the units involving removing every other or every third rib in the intake shields (I have not done this yet, but would consider it if the units were not putting out enough current) that supposedly increase the volume of flow dramatically, and this may be part of the upgrading done with the newer units. You may want to check out the stuff on the mods at RC, but at the price, I will wait until I see problems with mine (over 2 yrs old now) before I go and cut them up. With proper placement and correct programming, these units at 6100 will give very good flow as is, the biggest issue is that it IS POSSIBLE to have too much flow, so you have to set up your Streams and evaluate your current after the initial setup, possibly even change your rockwork in some cases to find what will work best for you. I also use a single Tunze Turbelle (continuous on, not programmable) pointing at the middle bottom of my rockwork to continuously blast out detritus accumulations. My only issue is that I occasionally have to deal with sand dunes or cloudy water when moving a powerhead and it accidentally pointing it momentarily at the bottom (instant sand storm... ...I know, cut them off, or go to feeding mode). BB systems should have no issues whatsoever.

If money is a problem, consider buying the controller and a pair of powerheads/Streams, you can always buy another one or two if needed (up to 8 can be controlled by the 7095 unit).

HTH

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
So on my 190, I take it I shouldnt even bother with spending the extra money on the 6201s. Thats 10000 GPH in a tank that'll be all SPS, LPS and Softies. I also already h ave two 6045s modded I will be using, along with an eventual wavebox. I'll have sand also, so I guess the 6101s will be a good choice. That does help, thanks Tom.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
So on my 190, I take it I shouldnt even bother with spending the extra money on the 6201s. Thats 10000 GPH in a tank that'll be all SPS, LPS and Softies. I also already h ave two 6045s modded I will be using, along with an eventual wavebox. I'll have sand also, so I guess the 6101s will be a good choice. That does help, thanks Tom.
:D MY pleasure...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm thinking maybe I will do it, I did like the idea of having all that control for the different powerheads, its really pretty cool. Just when you thi nk about spending a grand for the controller and 2 streams it kinda makes you step back and think for a minute.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Unless you have a larger tank, then its almost a must. I plan on doing so with mine =\

I personally would go wavebox, or a vortech and set it to make waves. and keep you rother two, since you already have em. Just my $.02

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I like my pair of 6100s and controller, but I did not get the tunze magnet holders. Another company makes a much smaller profile unit that works just as well, and it's significantly cheaper too. Anyways, I think that it was worth the cash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts