The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, my story starts with keeping African cichlids for quite awhile(from about 16 to 24 years old). When I was 18(ten years ago) the guy at the LFS convinced me to go saltwater. I had a 60 gallon acrylic with a Magnum 350 canister and a whisper pushing an airstone. He said that was all I needed...great. So I filled my tank with hose water, mixed in some salt and added a couple damsels. A few days later I purchased a lionfish, a lemonpeel angel and a sweetlips!!! All at the OK of the LFS. I think you can imagine how ugly the result was.
So, after giving up on salt for 10 years, I went in to the LFS and bought a nano cube on a whim. I spent quite a bit more time looking into how to be successful, including getting advice on this forum. It's amazing what 10 years and three kids will do!
Now I am assembling a 60 gallon reef tank a little at a time. I looked into ads in the papers and looked at a few tanks and stands but they all had problems. I needed something new because it will be displayed in the living room. So I purchased a reef ready tank and a pine stand at the LFS and have started the painting. I decided to paint it with a water based paint and give three coats of a satin finish water based polyurethane clearcoat.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here it is currently. Painted but not clear coated yet. Also is my tank, 20 gallon, which is to be my sump, and my mag 9.5.

I'm looking at the ASM G2 for my skimmer and going T5 on lighting. I keeping hearing good things about T5's, and they seem reasonably priced.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, money seems to be what's slowing me down on my 60 gallon, so here are a few pics of my nano. I just got rid of a purple pseudochromis because he was too much of a jerk to have other fish in with him. So I just got a clown and a bicolor blenny. Both fish seem like they're going to be very entertaining. Enjoy...

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a good pic of the clown. The second pic is why I'm running behind on my tank.($1,000) I know all puppies are cute, but this one might be a notch above ;) .

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My clown attacked me today!!!!! He nibbles at anything that enters that tank!
Anyhow, here's a classic photo I took. My emerald crab was hanging from a snail half way up the glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the base of the stand finished. I have my tank being drilled and an overflow installed and my 20 gallon sump drilled with two holes for pumps. Right now I'm debating over a retro kit for the hood or satellite style lights. T5's either way. Oh yea, my new Pygmy angel...my clown jumped the other day!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts