The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to start a saltwater tank for years and am finally able. I have an 8gal biocube. It is bone dry at the moment. I'm reluctant to start because I really would like to not help out in destroying the ocean just because i want pretty things in my tank...can anyone give me pointers on the best places to find aquacultured corals and captive bred fish and/or ways to set up a totally awesome as well as ecofriendly nano reef tank?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I think with planning, a no-impact reef would be doable!
Most Petco stores here in the south carry cultured live rock, but I'm sure most LFS can order some for you. Many reefers share their coral frags with fellow reefers, and you can order several species of tank raised fish from vendors here in the US. Its a little harder, but you can also find tank raised snails online. (I know I've seen trochus tank raised)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I could give you a ton of tank raised snails. These guys wont stop.

Some fish are easily farmed such as Clownfish and many stores will display the fact that they are tank raised.

If you like Banggai Cardinalfish, you should search for tank bred fish. They are threatened by over-collection.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts