The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I've been trying to sell the wife on allowing our budget to pay for a $500 reefkeeper or apex controller.

Wife says, "soooo. does this fancy thing shut the system off if the tank starts to overflow and there's water all over our floor? hmmmm?"

Me, "let me look into that...."

So guys and gals of TRT.....why doesnt any of these controllers have a probe that you can mount on the floor's surface and then shutoff the main return pump when it detects water?!?!?!? Why havent RK or Neptune thought of this? Is there "something" I can put into place to accomplish this outside using a controller?

Help....

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
So... I've been trying to sell the wife on allowing our budget to pay for a $500 reefkeeper or apex controller.

Wife says, "soooo. does this fancy thing shut the system off if the tank starts to overflow and there's water all over our floor? hmmmm?"

So guys and gals of TRT.....why doesnt any of these controllers have a probe that you can mount on the floor's surface and then shutoff the main return pump when it detects water?!?!?!? Why havent RK or Neptune thought of this? Is there "something" I can put into place to accomplish this outside using a controller?

Help....
I think You could use a moisture sensor wired into the switch input on the reefkeeper.

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm quite SHOCKED .... actually.....that this is not a standard feature to ANY controller.

Twice in 10yrs I have come home to a puddle of standing water around my tank, once on carpet and once on Linoleum.

My new 180g sits on Linoleum... but $5k worth of hardwood is 10-20ft away.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
All you need is either an inexpensive float switch or moisture sensor to detect if the tank is overflowing. This can be added to any of the available controllers. They have ports for plugging in these type of sensors.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Help....
ReefAngel can do what you want...
research it.
it comes with 2 flaot switches that you can figure, you can either use both switches for hi/lo switch or only 1 float for hi switch, you can also add an extra feature that would automatically shutoff if the pump runs for more than how many seconds you want it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also $500 is a lot of money - you should be able to put a decent controller in for half that. Unless you have a lot more to control than the average 180g tank a ReefKeeper Lite should do everything you need. Although I know you have your heart set on that Apex...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
That could be done with a float switch wired to the SL-1 or SL-2 module on a Reefkeeper Lite.
I have the RKL level 3 with two PC-4s, a SL-1, temp and pH probes, a MLC moonlight controller and three LED moonlight pods and only have like $350 in everything. A float switch is only about $10-$12 most places.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also $500 is a lot of money - you should be able to put a decent controller in for half that. Unless you have a lot more to control than the average 180g tank a ReefKeeper Lite should do everything you need. Although I know you have your heart set on that Apex...
That could be done with a float switch wired to the SL-1 or SL-2 module on a Reefkeeper Lite.
I have the RKL level 3 with two PC-4s, a SL-1, temp and pH probes, a MLC moonlight controller and three LED moonlight pods and only have like $350 in everything. A float switch is only about $10-$12 most places.
how about $219 and it has 8 relay ports, built in LED dimming to simulate sunrise/sunset/thunderstorm & lightning? it also comes with 2 ATO float switches, ph probe, temp probe, built lunar cycle simulation.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Unless your plumbing or the tank itself breaks, a properly set up system will never have more water in it than the sump can hold after the plumbing drains when the return pump is shut off. Simply shutting off the system isn't going to matter if your tank is broken. Your floor is getting wet at that point... unless you can attach a duct tape dispensing arm to your controller.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
ReefAngel can do what you want...
research it.
it comes with 2 flaot switches that you can figure, you can either use both switches for hi/lo switch or only 1 float for hi switch, you can also add an extra feature that would automatically shutoff if the pump runs for more than how many seconds you want it.
The more and more I learn about this controller, the more sold on it I become. The possibilities are limitless with an open source controller. If you can write the code, (or know someone who can) it can do almost anything!

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
If you can write the code, (or know someone who can) it can do almost anything!
Can it go to work for me? I've been trying to automate that forever.

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless your plumbing or the tank itself breaks, a properly set up system will never have more water in it than the sump can hold after the plumbing drains when the return pump is shut off. Simply shutting off the system isn't going to matter if your tank is broken. Your floor is getting wet at that point... unless you can attach a duct tape dispensing arm to your controller.
i have dual overflows... but worried if one of the overflows clogs up if my return pump is pushing more water than the other overflow can handle...its a matter of time when the tank starts to overflow.

i just bought the Apex Lite.... its intransit.

i'm acutally considering not only a float-switch to control this situation thru the ApexLite.... i'm also going to put a baffle in my sump at the bulkhead so if water level drops below the baffle the main pump quit pumping water.

we just put $5,000 worth of maple hardwood flooring thruout half our house, my tank sitting on linoleum but the hard wood is about 15-20ft away and a major tank overflow would run water into the hardwood....if my new 180g overflows and damages the hardwood floor i'll be paying a lawyer for divorce proceedings :arg:

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
It isn't always practical, like if your tank is already set up, but when planning a new setup it's always good to plan on having a bit over twice the flow capacity on your drain line than you will have from your return pump. Just an added safeguard and a bit more peace of mind against this exact issue. You know that unless things get pretty good and clogged, your display tank will not overflow. Buys you extra time to keep on top of cleaning it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just tell her yes and hope that it wont overflow. Good marriages are built on lies and deception, right?
Lol

There are audible water alarms available at different websites. As much as I hate then right now aquacave.com has one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts