The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well its that time of year again, are you prepared? There are several ways to protect our investments. As Jimmy Buffet once wrote "trying to reason with the hurricane season", a nap in a hammock and a bloody mary are not going to keep our tanks alive. *edit* To make things worse, there is thought of adding category 6 this season in anticipation for larger storms.* Good preparation is the only defense we have to safeguard our investments. There are several ways we can accomplish basic life support for our aquariums in a power outage.

Generators are obviously the best route to take in a power outage because you never know how long you will be out of power. You can pick up a new low end non brand name generator for as low as $300 dollars at biglots or you can have a natural gas or diesel home generator installed for around 8k to 13k with a transfer panel but thats a bit extreme.You need to pay attention to the generators power rating (amps) and cranking/surge amps. A decent generator will run you about $500 to $700 dollars at your local hardware store. With around 5000 amps and 6000+ cranking amps you can power lighting, pumps, fans, and even your microwave, and you get features such as auto shutoff when the oil level drops below a safe running level. However not everyone is about to fork out $500 to $1000 and up on a generator. Also what do you do if you are ordered to evacuate your home? Who is going to keep that generator up and running and full of fuel?

Another option is Computer back up devices which run off batteries and turn on automatically when the power shuts off. This is a great option however if you are out of power for more than a few days you are out of luck.

You can also buy a power inverter for your car and if you want to exceed 150 watts you can buy one that hooks directly to your cars battery. This is what I did last hurricane season, It allows you to run a pump and low watt light and your car will keep your battery charged (as long as you have gas in your car).

The last and cheapest option is a battery driven air pump which I have noticed that most LFS have in stock now for about 8 bucks. You can stock up on batteries so you can be ready for the worst scenario, a week or more without power. Although you won't be able to run your lights and pumps your fish and inverts will survive and it will buy you time to look for a generator or find another club member who has one and is willing to hold your light dependent corals for the duration of the power outage.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Steve,

Where did you read or hear that they have listed Cat 6 to the hurricane saffir-simpson scale this year? Im interested as this affects my work and I track these stats pretty closely.

Thanks,

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, it is not associated with the saffir-simpson scale, I was watching the 10 oclock news and they said there is consideration to include cat 6 in preparation for larger storms and for the advance in new construction technology that can stand up to greater wind speeds and damage. Thank you for correcting me

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
sea devil said:
Definition of a category 6 Hurricane

:eek::eek::eek:

I may not be in Northern FL but i am in SW FL where we got hit bad with Charley in 2004. I have myself a nice generator and chiller for my tank this season.

So i say BRING IT ON!!!:beer: :beer: The only thing that i have to worry about is if a tree takes out or house then it is all over other than that we will be fine down here. Ohh and gas i remember waiting in a 3-5 hour line to get gas after the storm i hope it wont be like that again.:agree:

Tim

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So back to the topic, Is everyone ready? Even this little storm that is about to come close to us tonight can create power outages because the ground is so dry now that a heavy rainfall can knock tress down over power lines.

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
Waynesworld said:
well I am not tank ready. Looking at lowes tonight for generators.
If your a member of Sam's Club, you might want to check there too.

I went to Home Depot and Sam's today, to compare prices, and Sam's was a heck of a lot cheaper.

Looking at the 1850/1500 watt camping generator just to run the tanks, Sams was $299, and HD was $100 more.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
This ones a baby we can handle it no sweat!:funny: Generator is on standby.:banana:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Generac power boss 8500 Runs my lights, TV/stero, tanks & AC. Cut the AC off & run the fridge & freezer

Generac 15000 for the store

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
sea devil said:
Generac power boss 8500 Runs my lights, TV/stero, tanks & AC. Cut the AC off & run the fridge & freezer

Generac 15000 for the store
I was looking at those, and will probably get one eventually. What size a/c do you have? I have a 4 ton unit.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I believe it's 3 1/2 ton. The 8500 has a 50 AMP/ 240v plug. I hard wire it into my panel. It's electric start, 11 gal gas tank, auto low oil shut off. I think it's like 10000 surge.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts