The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hope I am not a horrible, irresponsible reef-keeper, but overall, my little reef has done well and I have been fairly lucky. The scooter blenny I bought loves frozen food (though yeah, he pigs on the copepods and other live foods when I supplement) and is fat; my nems love life, and well, it's been a good year (in fact, I have been wanting to be cheesy and post the year's progression of the tank in pics- come a long way, baby!)
I lost a fromia star a couple of months ago, and though what I really, really want more than anything is a sea star, but not a serpent or brittle (I have hundreds of micro-brittles in my tank).
Tonight, I went to the LFS. The star I saw (and inspected pretty closely for 20+minutes for signs of necrosis) was labelled as a "Red Sea Star," a name typically for a Fromia sp, but I am pretty sure that this is actually an orange linckia (very small, almost non-existent central disk).
I slowly drip-acclimated for 6 hours. I am hoping, in my 1-yr, but somehow sponge-and-life abundant tank, this star will make it.
They say design your tank around what ya want, and I have held off on some things as I really, really want a sea star. I will post pics soon, and let's hope this one is a success story. I think, knowing my tank, it's a good fit- it's just the acclimation along the way that terrifies me, and the questions over linckia diet, though I have read that the orange/red are more hardy than the blue....
Fellow reefkeepers, I welcome any input!:jester:
Oh, and from New Orleans, Happy Carnival!!!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have heard second hand that you can target feed them mysys shrimp. The guy said (a few years back) that the he used the heavier pc mysis that comes in sheets, because it sank. He used a turkey baster to place the food in the path of the linkia.
Give it a try.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! I caught a quick photo as he was coming from behind one rock to move to another. Hoping that this is a good sign, but this little guy is quite active whereas the poor fromia I lost never did move much, just crawled to the top of the glass and kinda melted (there's an old thread on here with pics of this).

Here he is:

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I think the LFS had it mis-labelled and looking at its disk, I am thinking it is a linckia. The good news is that I have 80+ lbs of pretty well-established, life-abundant LR, so I am hoping that this one will make it. I will try the spot feeding as well.
I carefully acclimated the star and it is very, very active, crawling all over the tank's rock so I am hoping that's a good sign and the little fella will make it!

·
Happy Clam
947 Posts
Those guys are toughh to care for if they don't fall apart in the first week. I've always had luck with red knobby stars. Seem easy to care for and are pretty self-sufficient. And they move around a lot...and that's what I like the most about him.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a star update: So far, there are no signs of tissue necrosis or "red stringy stuff."
The star looks quite well, so I am hoping that the extra-careful drip acclimation I did with him has worked its magic.
The star has not been terribly active though after the first day. He moves, but not too much, and stays in shaded areas (read that the shaded area thing is normal).
Knowing that I have mistakenly bought a linckia and that they are very, very hard to care for, does anyone have experience with perhaps feeding these stars the prepared Angelfish Food (sponge-heavy)? He hasn't seemed to interested in the mysis that I have fed the tank, though perhaps he got a bite or two of the live brine and mysis I fed the other day....
Any linckia success stories out there?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I had the same deal, except with more hardy serpent/brittle stars.. i bought a few around the 6 month mark and had some die.. now i have one large green, one small black, one striped and had one sand sifter..

the sand sifter died, probly because my substrate was changed a couple months back and i may have added him to early.. i dunno but all the serpents are alive and well.. the green one isnt bashfull at all, it will come out and take what ever food it wants and no one argues.. (not even me) its about 6 or 8 inches.. its big.. it can stand on two of its legs and reach up the glass, i dont know why it does it.. but these guys are fascinating to watch..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
o yeah, glad to see a kinda local reefer.. i am about an hour and 30 min away from you.. hattiesburg ms is where i am from..

do you go to coral connection? i love that place.. its the biggest coral place i have been too, i do some issue with some things that could be nit picked by some but i love that place... i bought a couple hundred dollars worth of coral from him not long back, the only that didnt make it was some zenia, or a close relative.. we need to get together for some frag trading..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tbardoni- thanks for the words of encouragement! I am optimistic since the star is still looking good and is currently scouring bits of LR for food, I guess- he moves much more when the lights are off.
JErrodbuffington- crazy small world! I am currently finishing my doctorate at Southern Miss, so I am up in Hattiesburg once a week. I love, love the people at Coral Connection. It's best if you catch the younger guy in there-he'll give you some awesome deals on some small frags, and everything I have bought from them has lived and thrived- a few zoas, a beautiful wellso that they should have charged me much more for, some cloves that are booming in my tank, some sun corals, lots of stuff, and plus, they will give you free live food if you go in there regularly. Usually, I am just browsing, but overall, they've given me great deals on equipment, corals, etc. Have you checked out Aquatic Specialities? They are just on the other side of Vets in kenner. Much more in terms of fish and inverts, but their coral prices tend to be a bit higher. I much prefer the staff and corals at Coral Connection, but the selection is more varied at Aquatic Specialties. I recently got some beautiful eagle eye zoas, and they're doing well, so when they take off, we'll def want to talk about some fragging! It's great to know there is someone else who is obsessed with this close by!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.