The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your looking for a good glue to fasten coral frags etc. try Loctite Quicktite superglue gel. I have been experimenting with it for a couple weeks now and it is the best glue that I have been able to find! Menards has .14 oz (4 grams) bottles for $1.50.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Been using it for about 8 months now... Works great.

Even better method. Get some of the epoxy putty. Knead about a grape size amount. Then superglue frag to the epoxy putty. (note: dab bottom of frag with towel or napkin, etc to dry off adhering surface) Then place frag in tank.

HTH,
Greg

·
Registered
260 Posts
That is also what I use, any supergle gel works great. I always end up using an entire tube to mount one frag but oh well. I had to laugh because last time I was in WalMart to but glue I was carded. I looked at the cashier when she asked for my id, I saie what. For the glue, I guess you can go sniff the stuff also. But isn't that why I got into reefkeeping, isn't it also a drug. I mean we have a club and everything, if that doesn't say addiction I don't know what does.

Keep reefin

Dan

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wonder what the legal sniffing age is in Minnesota!

I used this to fasten the little bit of green star polyps from Trung but it/they ended up coming detached so I got the bottle out again and for the life of me I can't get anymore out. I used a straightened paperclip to reopen the passage. I could smell it again so I know I got to the glue but when I squeezed on the blue squeeze things on the side to administer more nothing came out. Probably operator error.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I superglued a chunk of zooanthids to a rock and they never came back to life, but otherwise I use good old 3M superglue gel and it is awesome, I use plumbers putty to fill in holes in my rock and then stick monti frags into that, works better than glueing for montis, IME

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
another thing

using whole hand to handle frags is a no-no

glue, putty, etc on your fingers and handle the fragments, ie: montis and whatever can clog/close the polyps themselves and damaging the frag

best use pliers, tweezers, and all those and minimize handling.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Hmmm....Agu is also the one who turned me on to Locktite.

I wonder if there's a connection???

:funny:

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
My stupid super glue tube cap would not come off one day. So I grab it in my teeth because my hands are wet and slippery from mounting frags and give it a twist. The cap stays firmly attached but the tube splits shooting superglue all over the back of my throat. Meanwhile my parents in law coming walking in the door while I am running around gagging because my throat is super glued shut. Now that is what I call a good time!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've had to painfully pry my lips and most of my fingers apart Stan, but I luckily missed shooting it down my throat. They need to come up with a more user friendly cap for guys like us.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They key word up there is GEL! Hmmm, never had a problem with the gel as it is easier to control. However, the normal superglue that is not in the gel form, well lets just say I have ruined enough shirts!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you get the .14 oz bottle as I mentioned above the cap is made to "not clog" and if it does you turn the cap clockwise to tighten just a bit and a pin on the inside of the cap pierces the point and reopens it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is really turing into quite the thread about glue. And the struggles we have with caps on glue bottles. I recall watching a five year old having problems with the same thing. But then again it can most likely be blamed on the sniffing of said glue. Admit it, you all do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts