The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the difference between the two? I was told I have a trumpet, just wondering.

·
11,345 Posts
i believe they are the same....but like a lot of ID's in this hobby...i wouldnt bet my life on it..........i would however bet our pet chihuahuas life on it.......of course...i would bet our pet chihuahuas life that sps and lps are the same in all regards........

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I looked in Eric Borneman's Book CORALS the following was stated. Common Species c. curvata, c.echinulata, c. furcata
Common names: Trumpet coral, Torch Coral, Candy Cane, Candy, bullseye, cat's eye.

All of the photo's shown for the different Species mentioned are labeled Trumpet coral for common name. these looked like a trumpit shape but some had stripes like candy cane. different center colors, and other variations.

Fred

·
11,345 Posts
dobejazz said:
According to Eric Bonemans book
Both Caulestrea furcata and Caulestrea echinulata are both sold under both common names
not very helpful was I ?
on the contrary...........sounds as though they are generically mistaken to be the same thing.........what was the difference listed kelli???

·
Premium Member
14,535 Posts
paraphased from eb's book
Caulestrea furcata is by far the most commonly available species, with brighter colors,smaller coralites, and a slightly less packed array of polyps.

Caulestrea echinulata has densely packed polyps, substantially larger and more oval to meandering shaped corallites and is rarely as colorful as C furcata

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
In the Reef Aquarium Vol 1

Scientific Name: Caulastrea (dana 1846) That is the family Name not the Species Name which is not listed.

Commons Names are listed as Torch coral, Candycane, and Trumpet Coral.

That was not much help now was it. It goes on to list the three species names in the reading but is not defineing how each species differs. also listed is that they may be brown in color,or yellow, or green and with or with out stripes

Sorry I know that does not help
Fred

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm... ok then, so this is a trumpet and a candy cane? Weird... no wonder this hobby is so confusing! Either way I like it! I ask because I think candy cane when I look at it... what do you call it? I thought a torch was something completely different!

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
Ive always called mine all of mine candy cane as well...(you can see a piece of one of them) in my avatar. After reading this though i think i have several of both and i would be inclined to say the one in my avatar is NOT a candy but a trumpet.........

·
11,345 Posts
here is a couple of mine.....im not even going to say which they are...i like them though

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
fchidsey said:
Very Nice What kind of light is on the bottom one.

Fred
Light?????

I would NEVER compromise the natural beauty of a coral................

But I WOULD have the red flashlight out at night looking at other things and maybe ACCIDENTALLY have taken a pic of a coral................

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! Butch, how long will it take mine to fill in like yours? What is the growth rate on these candy trumpets?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Wow! Butch, how long will it take mine to fill in like yours? What is the growth rate on these candy trumpets?
Jessica, It's filled in Sooooo much since that picture! I have to frag it, but I hate to move it, because it's doing so well. Plus I have a clown hosting in it. :doh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts