The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In August of 1999 we officially became thereeftank.com. The small beginner's board finally had its own domain and its first sponsor. We will be celebrating our birthday all month with 4 great contests. (2 now and 2 later in the month) There will be lots of prizes including gift certificates from our sponsors, a 250 watt electronic metal halide ballast from Reef Fanatic, a refractometer from Premium Aquatics and more!

Contest #1: Photo Contest

Post your best pictures in the Contest section of the Photo Gallery . If you already have a picture loaded in the Photo Gallery you can just move it to the Contest section. It will be moved back to your member gallery when the contest is over. Deadline for entries is August 14th. The photos will be judged and the winner announced on August 16th.

Contest #2: $5000 Dream Tank Contest

This is your chance to come up with a start-to-finish tank plan. Using retail and mail order prices list all equipment, corals and fish you would use to set up a reef ready 180 gallon tank. Judging will be based on creativity, use of the budget, and originality. Bonus points will be given for equipment and critters you find from our sponsors (include a link to product).

The 180 gallon reef ready tank (dimensions are 72x24x24 with dual overflows) and stand have been given to you by a friend. :D Now take the $5000 and make it beautiful.

Entries should be posted in the Contest forum in the Dream Tank Entry subforum. Deadline is August 14th. Winners will be announced August 16th.

If you have any questions or comments about the contests please post them in this thread.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I could really dig into the "Dream Tank" contest, as I have been working on this type of project for some time now. My question comes about the "creative" use of budget. I have gotten a few things over the last weeks off of ebay and various garage sales. Can I use the "deals" I got for these objects, or do I have to show reciepts and such? I can provide price proof on my ebay item, but I will have a problem "proving" the deal I got on the equipment I am using to, uh, modify some of my components. . . :D

If garage sales are ineligible (I was only planning on using the "garage sale" find, if I actually purchased the parts), then I will try and "re-find" these items and provide proof of price. :funny:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I'm not sure just how picky we are going to get..but I would prefer people to use regular retail and mail order prices.

Have fun with your plan.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That sounds good-- like I said, the stuff in reference are actually power tools, chisels and such to modify some of the equipment, maybe I don't have to count that part? If I plan to use a lot of DIY stuff, then do I have to count the tools I'd have to buy, or can I pretend I have a fully stocked wood shop?? :D

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...you can just wait and submit it on the last day into the contest entry subforum. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts