The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
earlier in the summer we had something go wrong in the tank, and it started to wipe out all the corals. I lost all the hairy mushrooms first, which was so strange since they had been so easy to grow and dominated the tank. Then I lost all the ricarodia,zoos, and all my blue mushrooms.I loved the blues, so that was the worst part :cry:. I lost all the green striped mushrooms, candy cane corals, some frogspawn.
It started along the left side and just wiped things out as it seemed to cross the tank in a matter of days. It looked like something with a bit of a web was in the tank. We did major water changes for several days and it finally stopped. It was pretty scary as we were watching things rapidly disappear. It did not harm any fish, but I did lose my two shrimp. It also did not affect any of the leather corals or the anemones. The few mushrooms that it did not reach also remained in tact. Never really found out exactly what it was, but we were glad to be able to stop it and not have it harm the fish.
The tank looks much different without all the color now, but we have waited to add anything since we are going to be doing a tank upgrade within the next month or so. I have just been fragging the leathers. Hopefully the fish will do ok with the tank transfer. If all goes well, we will add some new corals. It makes me a little hesitant now to get much for corals, since overnight basically they can diasspear if something goes wrong. We had been so lucky for our 2 years in the hobby,

I will post a before and after the problem. I will also post again when we get the new tank.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a few days later ...

I waited to post about it to see what happened after some time, and it has been fine. The remaining corals have been growing like crazy. Once we did the water changes and it stopped, things have remained in tact and without any further loss. The fish never seemed affected. They did not appear sick or ever stop eating. It was just a weard thing, but luckily we caught it and were able to stop it. If we had been out of town, I am sure we would have returned to everything gone.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lori and Jeff. Hope everything gets back to normal soon for you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
so sorry to hear that. Once you get the new tank set up I will probably have some hairy mushrooms and xenia or leathers to donate if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I would have some green shrooms for you to.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate your kind words and support. The tank is fine now, and I think it is just a good lesson of how vulnerable the system can really be,

I will post pics of the new set up when we get it,

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I can help you out with some corals as well. You shouldn't have to worry about finding any of those hairy mushrooms around this club. I know I have a ton of them, along with a few of the frilly and watermellon shrooms I got from you a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all, you guys are such a great group of people. I have been fragging some leathers, so I will have some trades. I will have to have a meeting when we get our new tank set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts