The Reef Tank banner

Triton lights

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tdwyatt 
#1 ·
Anybody still use them? Ive read quit a bit about them at garf.org. They seem to have good results with them. Would they be a cheap alternitive for a shallow grow out tank, 12'' or so? For coraline algae or soft coral. I want to start making agrocrete L/R and fragging softies in shallow vats. Anybody have a good results using them?

#4 ·
I believe that Triton was absorbed by GE when they bought Thorn EMI in England. the use of Triphosphors resulted in use throughout the fluorescent inducstry to improve existing lines of "Grow bulbs" to produce differing types of chlorophyl-exciting lights that have a high PAR index. I dunno which bubs in the 40watt range have this, but I am sure you can go to Phillips or GE or any of the fluorescent manufacturing tech companies and find their bubs specs for color and applications for plant growth.

Seems to me that the technology of these low energy bulbs ended up being absorbed by the industry as a whole, and although the use of multibulb applications DID allow for growth of SPS types of corals, it ended up being more efficient to use VHO technology and triphosphor applications when applying this fluorescent technology to coral husbandry. I am sure that you can use the 40 wtt apps for low energy corals, Corallimorphs, Zoanthids, some Octocorals, etc, however, if thinking about reef-top or high energy Fore-reef specimens, the VHO technology would be more appropriate still.

I am a little vague on this still, it has been a while since this was introduced and GE bought the original mfgr (circa 1998-99). I generally have not followed the low energy applications, sorry to not have anything else to offer, maybe this will stimulate a response from others in the know on the topic.

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.