The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Thought this might be a fun discussion. With my 135 I've been running triton for a few months now. What makes this different from normal 2 part, is that it's supposed to contain all the trace elements in real sea water, and supposedly if you use the system and do their mail in water tests you can get away without doing any water changes.

I have decided to continue with the fairly modest 20% water changes monthly with Tropic Marine salt, but I really like that the trace elements are supplemented unlike other methods.

So far I've had great success, my coral growth is fast, and the consistency from mix to mix is great leading to better stability, but I've found a few other unexpected benefits. The first one is my PH stability! In the past I've used outside skimmer air intake, baked baking soda, Kalk, and other things to try and maintain PH and fight the CO2 impact from my CA reactor and indoor air, but it's super nice that my PH is now naturally 8.1-8.3. The method itself has a slight PH raising effect, but avoiding the PH depression is a super big help too. I also really like the consistency of the solution. It is super nice with the dosing pumps that it's pretty set and forget. I test ALK weekly and adjust dosing up fairly regularly due to coral growth, and new corals taking up more minerals, but day to day the numbers stay really close. Unlike daily dosing or weekly, the DOS pumps are dosing a couple drops every 15 min, plus it's so concentrated that my 1L dosing containers last over a month.

What do you think? Have you ever tried this? Do you like it? Did you stick with it? Or did you find something that worked better for you? I'm open to all discussion around element dosing!
Whiskey

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,036 Posts
Hey Whiskey! New to 'dosing', but the old school route. I've heard of the 'Triton-testing' option folks use for supper accurate info on their systems, but first I've heard of an actual 'system'. Probably won't convert me from using my old dinosaur piss, but am curious and will watch this new thread......THANKS!
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Whiskey! New to 'dosing', but the old school route. I've heard of the 'Triton-testing' option folks use for supper accurate info on their systems, but first I've heard of an actual 'system'. Probably won't convert me from using my old dinosaur piss, but am curious and will watch this new thread......THANKS!
Hack
Yeah,.. they sure do! From a 10,000 foot view the system looks something like this:
  • Setup the tank much like the old Berlin System (BB or Shallow sand, Sump, Skimmer, great flow) with the addition of a large Fuge.
  • Use their 4 part system on dosers, this includes the trace elements and macro elements.
  • Do 4 tests a year with their mail in system and adjust to imbalances.
  • No water changes.

Basically you get the ALK right and match the rest of the chemicals and that should keep everything in balance.

I've decided to keep the water changes, and do less mail in testing, but it's a little off the original script.

Whiskey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts