The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hrm...
I'm not sure you'd have the room in a 40 since you already have the yellow tang.

Most triggers require a minimum tank size of 70 gallons.

The minimum size for a yellow tang is also somewhere in that range so that it has plenty of room to swim around... I usually try to distance myself from the tang police but your tang may outgrow that 40 pretty quick... you may want to look into a larger tank, or exchange the tang for another small tang once it gets too big for your current one.
I just don't think it will be happy in a 40 in the long run, and it will probably suffer recurring bouts of ich (tangs seem to be ich magnets).

HTH

·
Registered
645 Posts
Too many fish in to small of a space. The smallest of triggers get to be about 10 inches. If your plan is to upgrade to a larger tank down the road, then it can be done as long as your puffer and tang allow it. Just make sure your trigger is small when you get it. Your talking potentially 30 inches of fish when fully mature. I would go with the Niger species. They are readily available, good disposition and I have seen them the size of a nickle. A fish like that can survive in a 40 gallon for a couple of years.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The measurements that are used are based on the fish in it's natural habitat. In a closed environment, feeding habits and the closed system can play a factor in growth rates. It's better to play it safe and prepare for a full sized fish.

·
Registered
315 Posts
First, let me say I agree, the tank is too small. If you had a large enough tank, you could go with any of the following triggers, Niger Trigger, Blue Jaw Trigger, Crosshatch Trigger, Pink tail Trigger, or a Sargassam Trigger. All have a calm disposition, but all also get large in size. Just my 2 cents:)

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.