The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say 2 to 3 times a day.I'm concerned about water quality.Do they have to eat that much?Here he is,my new addition.Totally reef safe unlike many people say it depends on the fish.I guess I got lucky.Does'nt bother nothing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
2-3 times a day?
That sounds like a bit much to me. Is that a pinktail? Anyhow, you made a good decision...they are generally peaceable...not quite as pugnacious as other triggers, but I don't think you need to feed him that often. What is his current diet?

·
Super Moderator
22,079 Posts
As someone who now has two triggers in my 180 FO (Clown and a smaller Picasso) i can kinda relate to posting about this. Up until recently, i had only three fish in my tank,Queen Angel,Porc Puffer,and the Clown Trigger.(Recently lost a few fish,all from old age, two eels were in my care for 20 yrs)These fish then and now, were always begging for food. since i got the Angel last summer, i started to feed a lil more, more often, since the tank is a fish only,and nothing for it to "graze" on.
Recently i was lucky enough to "adopt" the fish one of our members here had, since they were downsizing/moving one of their tanks(it happened to be ShirleyM)in the mix of fish were: Sailfin tang, Naso tang,Picasso trigger(prob 3-4"), a Maroon Clown, and a small sharp nose puffer. They were used to being fed once a day , in the evening. since they are now in my tank, (and since i like to feed the Queen Angel well) they get fed prob 3 times a day, ranging from pellets, to mysis and a variety of frozen cube food. and Nori,etc.,etc.
Since i am now feeding more food, more often, plus the fact of food in/ waste out, i am aware of water quality more so now.
And with the triggers(and the other fish somewhat) i've learned in the past, that a decently fed fish tends not to want to "fight" with it's tankmates, not that it has been a problem here, with the new additions.
With the addition of the tangs, we all know they need to eat often,and from what i've seen while scuba diving,it seems to be continuously, LOL.
so the tank gets fed most times, more than once a day.Most feedings are just pellets(believe the brand is New Life)and the pellets are sinking style, and tend to stay "intact" for a decent amount of time, allowing for a bit of "grazing" by the fish.One feeding is usually a more meaty type of food, for the porc puffer, and the triggers,,all the time watching the water quality in the tank.
To reply to your question about 3 times a day feedings, most times i would say probably not needed, prob once a day, if the food is "meaty" enough(silversides,raw shrimp, frozen cube etc.)Myself i prob would not feed so much ,or so often, if i did not have the tangs , or the Queen Angel in the tank, and did not feed that often b4 i got the Angel.
Regardless how often you end up feeding, bottom line, monitor your water quality parameters,and also keep a eye on the belly of the trigger, of course you don't want it on the thin side, and for sure you don't want to eat so much food, that it's ready to bust a seam. Most triggers i've seen(and some other fish) will eat seemingly way too much ,b4 they decide they are full ,and stop taking in food.
If your trigger is in a reef tank situation, then i would say ease off the food, due to the need for "clean" water for the living non-fish things in your tank.

Sorry if i rattled on too long here, just wanted to offer my take on things,,,:wavey:

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I feed my trigger tank 1 time a day and will miss a day about once a week. They do great, That is a pink tail I'm pretty sure. I have one pink tail, Blue jaw , queen , lunare wrasse , snowflake eel, and 3 damsels in my tank. Non are in a reef tank,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts