The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I made my own frozen food based on Melev's recipe at http://www.melevsreef.com/food.html

I made a few changes. The LFS did not have any spirulina powder or frozen krill, so I substituted some frozen brine shrimp. I also left out the silversides/smelt as I don't have any anemones yet. I also had to sub Formula 1 and Formula 2 flakes instead of pellets as that is all that was available. I used an entire sheet of Nori ($1.39 at the Asian Market for 10 sheets).

Anyhow, after I was finished, I put a little in the tank and the Blue Dam and Green Chromi (only fish I currently have in my 55g) went nuts for it.

Thanks to Melev, I now have about 12 months worth of food in the freezer for about $50 (it will be cheaper next time as I won't have to buy the Formula 1/2 - those big jugs will last a long time).

Thanks to Marc for the great info on his website.

Mike

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
frozen brine are almost void of any vital nutrients, the reason for the spirulina or krill is because of the high amount of protein and nutrients in them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Superman,

The label on the frozen brine shrimp states that it is "bio-encapsulated with multi-vitamins" so I figured it was better than nothing. The LFS had spirulina flakes, would that work as well as powder?

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
probably just as well as the powder, but someone with more experience with the flakes may chime in. I guess that I would still steer clear of the brine, they have been called the celery (sp?) of the marine world.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Brine shrimp is brine shrimp and marketing is marketing. It would be better to have added nothing.

You'll notice a raise in your phosphates when you use brine shrimp. Once past the initial 24 hour period, artemia have consumed their 'yolk sac' which is what makes brineshrimp useful as a food source at all.
As adults they are not nutritional and are only best used when soaked in some sort of vitamin such as selcon or zoecon. To 'soak' them only works if the adult brine are alive and able to consume the vitamin. Take note that dead things do not eat and soaking frozen brine in vitamins really doesnt do much of anything.
It is better to use frozen mysys shrimp as these actually have nutritional value to them as well as a natural stimulant that encourages fish to eat that would otherwise prefer not to.
I never allow processed foods, flake, pellett or brine shrimp to touch my tank as all of these products contain by-products known to cause phosphates.

As a side note feeding adult brine shrimp to fish is like feeding kids popcorn. It fills them up and gets them off your case but it's really not that great for them since there is no real nutritional value.

On my blender mash nite I will add scallops, raw shrimps (shells on to act as a binding agent), mussell, clam, mysis shrimp, cyclopeeze and nori. Honestly my fish and inverte eat better than I do. It's rather sad now that I come to think about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishinchick,

Thanks for the info on phosphates, I was not aware of that. I will eliminate the brine shrimp from the next batch. Not to be sarcastic, but aren't the mysis, cyclopeeze, and Nori you add processed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts