The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently treating my tank for some sort of parasite or fungus. I am unsure exactly what it is....seems to look the most like Marine Velvet. It was brought into the tank by a new bicolor angel that I regretfully did not QT first. (lesson learned). I lost my dottyback overnight after pulling him out into a hospital tank. He had only showed symptoms for a few hours. I have some LR but no corals or inverts as I have a baby triggerfish (less than 1 inch). The bicolor is now looking terrible and has been removed. I don't have a large hospital tank so I can't pull everyone out. My LFS said to treat the tank and the fish with Paraguard. I did this by giving all the fish a short freshwater dip, and then a dip in the Paraguard as the directions on the bottle state. I also treated the tank water separately, and the fish were place back in the tank (minus the angel who is being treated in the hospital tank). The other fish (pair of clowns and baby trigger), who were showing no symptoms, are now rightfully so very stressed and upset after the dip. They barely picked at their food last night. This morning, without turning on the lights I can see the clowns who are upset but alive...but haven't seen the trigger yet. I am afraid to search :-( the angel made it through the night, but looks the same.

Was treating them all without showing symptoms a mistake?

What can I do to help ease their acclimation to the meds? I have been keeping lights off, and feeding them food soaked in garlic. Salinity is a little low because I have heard that helps with stress.

I have a 55 gallon tank with LR

All suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dottyback that died was awesome. He had so much personality, and I really miss him. People who don't have saltwater fish just don't understand!

One more question. I am treating the angel with a more aggressive treatment (I think) in her own little tank, with Coppersafe. Now, I've already given her a dose...so please advise whether this was a sufficient med to use (I'll feel terrible if it wasn't - it was just what I had and I wanted to treat asap), and if not, if there is anything I can do. Also, I took a copper reading this morning, and it appears to still be lower than the range needed to kill the parasite which I read was between 1.5 and 2.0ppm. My tests looks to be about .5 - should I give the tank another dose?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
with coppersafe doesn't it say to dose daily for a couple days? it is good for parasites. and no treating them even though they are not showing signs is ok, better safe than sorry and to catch it early in my opinion. just be careful with overdosing wtih copersafe as it's harsh and can be bad for fish if they are in too much of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Coppersafe says that one dose treats the tank for an entire month! Seems a little ambitious for a product to say if you have a small tank and there is lots of top off needed. I'm just not sure what to do. I don't want to keep them in the stressful situation if its not even doing them any good!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woke up this morning and the bi-color angel had died. She was in bad shape so I'm a little relieved that she is not suffering anymore. Saltwater is such an expensive hobby :-( Everyone else is still looking okay, but I'm very worried that each time I look into the tank I will see things I don't want to see

1 - 7 of 7 Posts