The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok clownfish people this is what works for me.......
First you need a bare tank, I like a 20 high. When I say bare I mean NO gravel, no rock live or otherwise. A sponge filter and an air pump, nothing special I use the ones people call cheap. A heater not so big that it causes fast temp shifts (size the heater for the tank) Some pvc fittings (they are just for a hiding place for the fish) the big ones like 4" 1 or 2 is plenty. A tub of salt water mixed with a salinaty of about 15, I like to use the same batch for the whole process because it will be consistant. The following medications, Nitrofurazone, copper, Quick cure, and a copper test kit. Nitrofurazone is an antibiotic that is in furacyn (aquatronics) or fungus cure (aquarium pharmaceuticals) or whatever else thats just what I have used. And last but not least something to cover the outside of the tank I use a big green trash bag.
Ok we are ready. First you set up the hospital tank, make the salinaty low so the velvet (yep might have that two) will not live. Cover the outside of the tank so the fish do not get spooked (0 stress is the goal) Get the sponge filter going and the heater set. Treat the tank with the quick cure and nitrofurazone as per the instructions. Acclimate the fish to the tank and put them in. Feed the fish not to much we do not want any food left if we can avoid it. Leave them alone!!! The next day feed the fish and then carefully siphon out any detritus out of the tank. Dont get to crazy about the cleaning again we want 0 stress. With this siphoning we also want to take about 25% of the water for a water change. Replace the water with water from the batch you made (get the temp the same as the tank) Replace the meds for the amount of water you removed, and then leave them alone until a second lite feeding later in the day. The next day repeat. You see the cycle yet? This should go on for about two weeks. During the treatment if the fish start getting distinct spots with slime treat with copper also they might be getting velvet or crip also. The quick cure will kill the brook while the nitro will kill the secondary infection that comes with it. Do the water changes they are important because there is no biological filter the nitrofurazone kills any chance of it. Brook is nasty stuff that will show up weeks after you buy the fish personally I treat most wild clowns I get. This is the way I have treated brook and have had great succes with it. THIS MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU SO I DONT TAKE RESPONCIBILITY FOR YOUR FISH! But I have had good luck with it. Remember the biggest thing is no stress so dont get them jumpy the thing that screws them up the most is stress not so much the illness. Any questions ask I will try to answer them.
Good luck clowning!!
Dave

·
No Pinch!
696 Posts
Sorry if I miss understood, but is this something that could be done with any type of clowns, and as a preventive measure rather than watching for signs of illness? I too have had bad issues with clowns and I plan on adding a pair in about 2 weeks, so I'd like to get started on the process if it can be done without signs of illness.
Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Linn

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People might disagree but I treat all wild clowns and TR that have passed through wholesalers to some extent. Some clowns are hardier than others and can fight it in a low stress environment. But I dont risk losing a $20-80 investment and I like clowns and think they deserve the best care we can give them.

I would treat them,
Dave

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I contradicted myself and said I treated most wild and then said all wild in the previous post. Most is me meaning about 90% There have been clowns I have not treated.
Sorry for any confusion,
Dave

·
No Pinch!
696 Posts
Thanks! When I find some clowns and gather the meds Im going to start, I have a 20 gallon, can I use a bio wheel filter on it? Its brand new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts