The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, got another question... I was hoping that I could somehow install a bulkhead in the lower side of the can and then plumb that to my kalk reactor. However, it didn't hit me that the can is round/curved (what was I thinking???) and bulkheads are flat.

As it is now, the two alternatives that I can think of are:

1) put the hole high or on top of the tank (the cover) and then put some flex pipe on the inside, down to the bottom

2) somehow create a stand with a open center and drill the bottom and put the bulkhead there

Can anyone think of a better way to do this? To me, option 2 seems better, but not sure if it's easier...

As always, thanks for the tips and advice!

Chris

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
why not just put a pump in there with a float switch ??? It will be able to push the water through the kalk reactor...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Like Don said, you can still do it because the plastic will flex between the bulkhead. I also installed one on the bottom of my 32 gal. Brute. Used a PVC 1" to half inch threaded reducer (male and corresponding female counterpart), and found half inch ID rubber gaskets to fit. Sandwiched the Brute wall between the two gaskets. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phantom Phish & CyberChef - thanks for the info. I'll give it a whirl but need to find some gaskets and a few reducers. Off to Lowes today.

Tom, the reason I needed to pull water as opposed to push it was I've got a Litermeter so pump isn't necessary and the reason for the bulkhead is this container is outside so there's got to be a lid and fair seal.

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
On my brute kalk topoff resivior, I cut the top 1/3 off of a trash bag and then inverted the botom part of the bag over the trash can. Keeps the introduction of air to a bare minimum and I get almost no precipitation now. I'm sure it wold also help to keep your container sealed also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.