The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mantis Shrimp? I have a new 55 that has been set-up 5 weeks. Started with LR from Carib, Tongo and Marshall Islands. Put in the clean-up two weeks ago and I've lost 3-4 snails and a red hermit to some pest. Last week I saw this thing about 3/4 inch, white/grey color walk up to a snail and LIFT HIM UP AND LOOK UNDERNEATH! He sees me and runs back behind LR(one from the Carib). I'm told it may be a Mantis Shrimp so I bought an Xterminator Trap - baited it with shrimp. So far I caught two hermits and the bait was taken twice but no shrimp! Hmmm - I heard that they ride in Carib LR.

Any suggestions, please????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anyway to tell if he is still in that same rock? If I pull that rock out can I put it in a separate bucket and find him? The thing I saw was small and non colorful.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Look for holes in the rock. See if there is anywhere that he could have gone. If it's a mantis be careful, divers call them "Thumb spliters".

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Hi Joe. Welcome to TRT. We're practically neighbors.:)

If you know which rock he's in you can pour club soda in his hidee hole and he should come out.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
you could take out the rock you think he is in and put it on a tarp or something, just sit there and watch for him to come out, but be sure to spray your rock occasionally with saltwater to keep the rock moist. he will come out eventually, hope this works. also, do a search on google images for mantis shrimp if youre not sure what one looks like. and do be careful, they can lash out at lightning speed and 'split your thumb.' larger ones can supposedly even crack glass.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is the bomb for those mantis shrimp that are holed up. Take a syringe or simular implement, fill it with canadian dry soda, squirt it in the hole and he will come out like he is on fire!!! Dip the rock in some salt water and place back in the tank. Good to go! Works like a charm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got him!

Got him! Last night I finally trapped this little crab that hitchhiked on LR. The pic is poor but he is tan color, body about 3/4" and has two big claws. Very strong - turned the trap sideways and knocked a shell off the top.

What is it?

Attachments

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
It is delicious with sauce :funny:

If you need to do away with it, I've got some hungry triggerfishes that will be pleased to oblige.

Either that or Charles has the Sponge Bob Home for Wayward Crabs..

Or you can sump it ;)

Jenn

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Good going, Joe! Can't really tell what kind of crab it is but definitely not what you want roaming about eating snails and hermits!

I've trapped (or sometimes just grabbed) ;) quite a few and have kept some of them in a very small hex and watch them grow...kinda neat; when kept by themselves!

Dick:)

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Brandon,

Theres nothing 'wrong' with mantis shrimp except they are aggressive predators and, if allowed to grow, will kill virtually every fish, snail, and crab in a reef tank!! :eek:

Many people do keep them, but in separate tanks of their own.

For excellent info about these fascinating creatures, see:

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/

Dick:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts