The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We acquired a 110g glass tank/stand & 2 HOT Magnum ProSystem Filter/Biowheels.
The tank was used for goldfish and we would like to transform it into preferably a reef tank.
What steps should I take to clean tank of any chemical/mineral residue?
What other hardware is best to use to keep it all HOT/HOB?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I will start by welcoming you to TRT Seeaffe!

If any copper treatment as been used in the tank than I don't think I would use it as a SW tank! Copper is almost impossible to get out of the tank and will kill any inverts you may want to put in your tank!

I would acquire alot of good reef books and read, read and read some more!

Well that is a start and others will add to this!:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Everlasting killing power of copper

Are people exaggerating the everlasting killing power of copper?

I too have a fresh water tank I'm planning to convert for use as a Refugium. I used Coppersafe in the tank probably about 4 years ago. According to the manufacturer, you only need to remove inverts during treatment, and then you can filter out the Coppersafe using carbon, and replace the inverts in the same tank without replacing gravel. Is this true?. They state Coppersafe does NOT settle out in the tank.

After all, what ppm of copper is toxic? I can't measure any in my tank now.

I was just planning to remove everything from the tank and scrub it using steaming hot water. I read posts from people who state they have done so without a problem. One expert states his tank has been going for 2 years after this procedure, with inverts, and without any problems from the copper products he used previously

On the other hand, I could probably replace the tank with a 55g for about 99 bucks and sell the older one (45g) at a loss. Say I get 50 bucks for the 45g, then I'm only out $49 and have no chance of copper toxicity.

I guess the smart think to do is to replace the tank. Rats!

I'm new at this, so what is the common knowledge?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome To TRT Seeffe and Rickswa The friendly place on the net.

Lets giv'em some banana's shall we? :banana: :banana: :banana: :blob: :banana: :banana: :banana:

No amount of copper is safe in a reef tank. I would highly recommend putting some water in the tank, doing a copper test. Make sure you are using a good test kit. There are some kits on the market that are not as accurate as they should be, so I would see if your lfs (local fish store) does testing, what type of test kit and have them do the test for you. If the test show positive...DON'T USE THE TANK. I would recommend Salifert test kits. They are one of the best test kits on the market.

·
Registered
371 Posts
:beer: WILKOMMEN, WELCOME to both of you. Copper will settle in the silicon seals of your tanks. If acrylic, then into the acrylic itself. It is toxic to most inverts at VERY low levels. One possibility is a FOWLR, after you cycle your tank, have a LFS test for copper. Then you can decide what you want to do. If you have any doubts as to copper, fill the tank with RO/DI, let it sit a week, then have the water tested.

Read, lots, and stick around here. You'll learn VOLUMES about this new addiction you have fallen into.

Hope this all helps, Lee:beer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the Welcomes...We have wanted to dive into saltwater aquariums for awhile & finally jumped in.
We will go ahead with your advice and cycle the tank & test it for copper...hopefully we have none and can build our reef.

p.s. What HOT/HOB filters/skimmers have worked for y'all?
...wave makers??

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Seeaffe,

I used a tetratec 300 on a 20 gal tank, for the most part, I like to use a refugium/sump with a good skimmer as oppose to hob filters
Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts