The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my 10g nano i have a huge amphipod population, they actually started coming out while the lights are on thats how numorous they are. i dont think anyone eats them in that tank, the clowns dont seem to care they just wait for flakes. whenever i change my filter pads i notice about 10 or so on the pads, i usually just throw them away but then i started to wonder,
would it be possible to add a few pods to my newly setup 55 gallon? would they breed and make a decent population?
i just dont see much life on the live rock i got in that tank and being im just throwing them away anyway :rolleyes:
would it work?
(it would also help get my mind of that blenny :lol: )

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
as long as the salinity and temp are real close you can easily just dump some into the 55. i would do it at night when they are more active, but does not really matter.

the amount of pods depends on the amount of food in the system. since you feed the 10g flake, than there is plenty of food for the pods. you will need to do the same in the 55 to keep the population up.

how long has the 10g been setup? around the 6m mark most people have a sudden die off of pods. this is when they find thier natural equilibrium in the system.

G~

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i lost count of when i origionally set up the 10g, i think it was back in the fall
they molt alot, i see pod molts everywhere, some are pretty large
the temp is the same so thats no problem, both tanks are in the same room with normal room temperature
the salinity is a tiny bit off, the 10g is 1.026 and the 55g is 1.024

so the pods do eat flakes? ive seen a pod come out for a flake once but it wasnt an amphipod it was some unknown critter, i still have yet to ID them
kinda like a chiton but with horizontal light and dark stripes..i have no clue what they are :confused: :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts