The Reef Tank banner
919 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ckreef 
#1 ·
Well I guess it could have been worse but major problems this weekend on the Reef. I will start by saying that I am in the processes of moving. This means that I have not spent as much time as I needed on the tank. Well nitrate and ammonia have gotten a little out of hand. I used the Coral vital a few weeks ago and thought that that was the reason for the high readings but I was wrong. Last Thursday the temp in my tank soared to 86 F :eek: . This was due to the resetting of the thermostat for my house. I came home and I was sweating within a few minutes. I think that the high temps mixed with the bad water caused a major problem in the tank. Within 24 hours I had lost a yellow tang, mandarin goby, and my hippo tang was on his way out. Also my corals looked awful:( . Well this has caused me to rethink my whole cooling system and skimmer situation. The skimmer I have figured out but the cooling is another problem. I have added several fans and managed to get the water temp down to 76. but now I need to get a good heater so that I can raise the temp to about 79/80 and keep it steady. Well that leads me to my question. What heater is a good reliable heater? I guess I also need to share my tragedy with some folks who would understand.

#2 ·
I have a rena heater....keeps my tank at 80 all day long.....

#5 ·
No it is not a digital...

I think it is a Rena Cal Basic Water Heater

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3891

It is a 300 watt and you just set it at the temp setting 80 and it stays there I promiss.....Plus if you drain your tank and forget to unplug it, no worries, automatic shut off! It is cheap and works great....

Best one I have had so far....

By the way...It is not digital,

Look at it like this, You can go to walmart and buy a camera one is a throw away, the other is $600 digital, DON'T THEY BOTH JUST TAKE PICTURES?

You just want this thing to keep your water at a constant temp. So save your money get one that works and spend more money on corals!

Later
Clay

#6 ·
hesstondc said:

Look at it like this, You can go to walmart and buy a camera one is a throw away, the other is $600 digital, DON'T THEY BOTH JUST TAKE PICTURES?
Save 50 bucks by purchasing a cheap heater and when the thing sticks in the on position and fries your tank then you'll understand why one camera cost 5 dollars and the other one cost 600.

Never, never, never skimp on such a basic item as a heater. Sooner or later that cheap heater will not live up to it's expectations and disaster will set in.

I have a Jalli 300 watt titanium heater w/ a Jalli controller. It has the overheat shutdown circuit, is an electronic remote thermostat but not digital. It was not cheap but it does keep the temp within 1 degree no matter how cold I let the room get. Even in the winter when I blocked the heater vent and left the window open. I really think the heater would keep the temp within 1/2 degree except I have the heater and the temp sensor as far away from each other as possible in my water flow.

Charles

#11 ·
Good news folk the Blue Regal tang (Blue Berry) made it. Yahoo!! I was able to get the temp steady and the tank seems to be stabilizing now. Still looking for the best heater solution though. You all should see all the fans I have on the tank. It sounds like I am in a wind storm.

#12 ·
wildernet said:
You all should see all the fans I have on the tank. It sounds like I am in a wind storm.
I think everyone sooner or later realizes that to have a reef tank w/ no chiller usually means your a slave to your AC in the sumertime. I don't even think about it anymore -- just turn down the house temp and turn off the noise (fans).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.