The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the heads has died and is melting down, but the other seems healthy. Should I do emergency surgery with a dremel or will the other head be ok? :confused:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
PIX PLEASE, Do you feed your Trachyphyllia? Did the polyp bail or did it "jelly" away?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
sorry to hear it butch, hope it comes around.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the polyp bail or did it "jelly" away?
One polyp jellied away. I have been trying to feed every day alternating between blender mush, mysis, and Cyclopese. This thing have NEVER looked that great.

·
11,345 Posts
Have you checked your phosphate levels lately butch???? Im sure you have, high phosphate levels can cause them to "jelly" away. Im not sure if thats shere Tom was going with that or not............staying tuned....

good luck

The weirdest thing happened with a frogspawn i got about 6 mopnths ago. Over the course of the first month i had it 5 of his 7 heads bailed ship, due to the stress of moving back and forth from about 4 tanks along with high phosphate levels. Just the other day i found one of those head that bailed ship.....it was pale from being back under the rockwork but otherwisse alive and had begun to grow a new skeleton. I didnt know that it could work that way........

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked your phosphate levels lately butch???? Im sure you have, high phosphate levels can cause them to "jelly" away. Im not sure if thats shere Tom was going with that or not............staying tuned....
I tested for Phospates Sunday afternoon and it was 0. I do have a bit of hair algae and cyano but it seems to be under control.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
sometimes these corals get fed too much and do not have sufficient current to keep them clear of their own wastes. as as result, there may be high local phosphates, etc for the specimens, Occasionally they will get too much light and will require a bit of shade with good current and once-a-week feeding of a SMALL amount of fleshy fish or finely choppoed shrimp. It will help a lot to see what the area the specimen is located in looks like.

Pix will help, any chance you can shoot a frame or two???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts