The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Working on a new equipment list for a 400G system (240+90+70g sump). I really wanted this skimmer but for 1400 its really intimidating.

Not very many skimmer lines go above 300g so should I consider the skimmer rating for only the Display tank water volume since thats only what has fish bioload? Or is it raw processing power of the skimmer that matter since all tanks are on the same water column.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What number do you use when considering your bio load? Just display or combined that would be the number I would use for the skimmer. When it comes to skimming I think the last thing you want to do is go under size.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Right-size it based on waterflow and airflow, compared to total potential system volume (ie if you remove filled it only with water no rocks etc).

Ok, gasp... here is my secret....

You need about 400-500lph of air per 50g for more low-nutrient systems. The amount of water passage depends on the filtration/circulation rate. Recirc and other "tricks" alter this as they increase the amount of airflow per water pass and might be higher than their non-recirc brethern.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that the 400-500lph per 50g window is designed for more lower nutrient systems (SPS). It is fine to have less depending on the needs/bioloads of the system. In some cases, having more is good to. Do not fret over having less, unless you are aiming for that low nutrient system with a normal bioload.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
So at 400g, you are looking between 3200-4000lph, but depending on which is the sump, you might only fill those 70/90g 1/2 which will be between 2450-3200lph.

That skimmer will work. I think those skimmers are wonderful (the 170/200 can have surging issues but that is due to restricting the pump)

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice all. Looks like the Alpha 300 is my best best as the two red dragon pumps output about 3000lph of air.

The 70g is the sump. It may be larger but I doubt it will be. 90 breeder frag tank is going to awesome! (48Lx24Wx17H)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Sounds good. I think you will like the Alpha. I love that skimmer, but I could not afford it as a grad student. The cup removal mechanism is wonderful and I have seen it handle large systems easily.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Wow. Doc great info. Makes me wish I didnt just buy a reef octo xp1000 ss for my reef. Lol. If only you posted last night.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Wow. Doc great info. Makes me wish I didnt just buy a reef octo xp1000 ss for my reef. Lol. If only you posted last night.
The BB HY1000 has been pegged as high as 610-650lph, you will be fine.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
5.5-6.5 IMO, they like shallower water levels. 7 can work, you just have to be careful.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Hey doc how many lph are the octo BH-1000 pushing?

EDIT: NM doc, I found it 180 lph (6-7 SCFH) Looks like I might need to look for a new skimmer....
Good, I did not remember that one off the top of my head. Was that for the newer pinwheel or the older needlewheel? I think the pinwheel have the pump a bump.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Skimz look decent and should do well, but there are new enough to not have a long track record with reliability.

What aspect are you looking to mod the skimmer. You can mesh, swap pinwheels, up the pump, expand the airline diameter, add a wooden airstone, ect.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Just to increase air intake volume to increase performance---lph rating.
Well, you can add an wooden diffuser/air pump. You can mesh mod, and sometimes you can increase the diameter of the airline feed to up the air draw

1 - 20 of 38 Posts