The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a goldfish or two when i was 8, (im now 13) and I was thinking about getting some prettier and more interesting fish.

I would really like either 1 or 2 ocellaris clownfish, but I am not prepared to pay a silly-amount-of-money like £90 on a tank.

I am only allowed a reasonably small tank cuz I dont have much room. I was thinking on a 10 imperial gallon (or 45 litres!) ;)

I'm not bothered on adding expensive and time-consuming anamones. will I need coral? or can I get away with just adding decorations with hiding places ect.?

also, what kind or make of saltwater tank would you recommend to a beginner like me? :funny: (remember, not LOADS of money!)

so these are the basic questions:

1. Are ocellaris ok for a complete tropical beginner?
2. Can I keep a clownfish in a 10 imperial gallon tank?
3. Do keeping fish smell? (sorry, i just need to know)
4. will I need to buy coral and anemones?
5. what make/type of tank would you recommend?
6. what price do you think Ocellaris are? (roughly)
7. what would be the overall cost with everything? (tank, fish, rock, ect....)
8. do they need constant care, like how many times do i need to clean the tank?

Thank You! :thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm a begginer at reef keeping but I've had clownfish for years! I didn't even really cycle the tank when I first got it. I just had it running with freshwater for a week S:

1. They were my first ones they are very hardy!

2.I first kept mine in a 5 gallon yes you can!

3. No, if you do water changes regulary

4.No

5. Any durable kind...I'm not sure.

6. $20 each

7. I'm not sure, all I had when I started was a tank, some decorations, and the two clowns and fish food :) but it would be good to also have some tank testing stuff (hydrometer, ammonia testing, etc.)

8. I have a small tank, so it's every week for me to clean the tank but you should do water changes every week.

When I first got mine, well i had no saltwater expirience! I mixed the salt in the tank which was running for a week, added the decorations and fish and by the end of the day they were swimming around like happy little fishes! A 10 gallon for 2 False Perculas is great! Good Luck with your fishies clownfish are great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your help! is buying all these things worth it though, i mean- why should i bother??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yah I was younger than you when I first got one :) I think they're worth it! Clownfish are so fun to watch and my friends were like "Whoa you have NEMO FISH!" hahaha. I even got a fake anemone and my clownfish love it :) they aren't that hard to care for I mean I can leave them for vacations clean their tank every week or so but in return you get to watch these little orange fish bouncing around!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well i see you have a picture of an ocellaris clown on your profile. That is a good enough reason for me! If money is an issue or time to do the scheduled maintance, i would recommend going with a freshwater tank to get started and then upgrade to a marine tank later when more money is available. That way, you will already have a few of the things you need. Basic equipment and tank.

Not sure what the conversion rate is from US $ to pounds is but i am thinking you could get an entire cheap setup for under $140.
10 gallon tank with stock lighting
hang on the back filter or cheaper yet, sponge filter with air pump
hydrometer (swing arm that will give you a ballpark reading)
heater
1 small powerhead
small box of salt
fish flake or pellets
1 ocellaris clown

·
Registered
3 Posts
can i keep a clown fish in a ten gallon tank without a wet and fry filter or sump but an overflow box it is going to have no corals jus live rock:cry:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldnt start off with a small tank if ur even that interested there harder to care for the bigger u go the easier but more exspensive$$$

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
hey there ajbean and welcome to trt! can you tell us a bit more about your experience level with aquarium keeping? also, is suggest starting new thread. itll get ya more views and more help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have never kept saltwater fish before i have kept kois,mollies,cichlids and a couple others i want to start with a small aquarium because of money and space and also i already have a ten gallon tank
:fish:

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have never kept saltwater fish before i have kept kois,mollies,cichlids and a couple others i want to start with a small aquarium because of money and space and also i already have a ten gallon tank
:fish:
The only thing that can safely be kept in a 10 gallon FW tank is a betta, or a pair of mollies, but the tank will quickly become too small as soon as they have babies. A school of 8-10 neon tetras will work, as well... 3-4 small cories will work at bottom dwellers in any of the above combos if you get the right substrate.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 12g reef takes constant monitoring to keep my parameters in line (mind you, my corals are much more sensitive than my blenny). Salinity increases quickly in nano tanks. I top mine at morning and evening feeding to just it from swinging overnight. Over feeding also has much quicker, harsher concequences in smaller tanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks everyone but do i need a wet dry filter or can i jus use a over flow box there is goin to be only one or two clown fish and live rock:help:

·
Registered
190 Posts
You could prob use an hob with a decent Flo rate, id fill it with rock rubble instead of filterfloss.
Or just good powerheads and a good pile of live rock. I run my 12g with 2 powerheads and 13lb of live rock (I just added a refugium to one of the back compartments)

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
I have had a goldfish or two when i was 8, (im now 13) and I was thinking about getting some prettier and more interesting fish.

I would really like either 1 or 2 ocellaris clownfish, but I am not prepared to pay a silly-amount-of-money like £90 on a tank.

I am only allowed a reasonably small tank cuz I dont have much room. I was thinking on a 10 imperial gallon (or 45 litres!) ;)

I'm not bothered on adding expensive and time-consuming anamones. will I need coral? or can I get away with just adding decorations with hiding places ect.?

also, what kind or make of saltwater tank would you recommend to a beginner like me? :funny: (remember, not LOADS of money!)

so these are the basic questions:

1. Are ocellaris ok for a complete tropical beginner?
2. Can I keep a clownfish in a 10 imperial gallon tank?
3. Do keeping fish smell? (sorry, i just need to know)
4. will I need to buy coral and anemones?
5. what make/type of tank would you recommend?
6. what price do you think Ocellaris are? (roughly)
7. what would be the overall cost with everything? (tank, fish, rock, ect....)
8. do they need constant care, like how many times do i need to clean the tank?

Thank You! :thumbup:
ok, first, id suggest starting to read through the reef keeping made easy thread. it is the "easy" mone linked in my signature. it is looooong and can be a bit tough at some points, but there really is a lot of stuff in there that you should at least be aware of before ya start up.

now, ill go through your questions.

1. sure. lotsa fish are fine for beginners as long as you set up a system the right way!

2. some will tell ya that its ok. personally, I think a 20g is the minimum id keep a clownfish in. check out the nano fish section at www.liveaquaria.com for some neat ideas, though. a pistol shrimp/goby combination would be cool.

3. a healthy tank shouldn't smell at all. well, if you go up to the tank and sniff it, it should have a clean, oceany smell to it.

4. nope. you don't need any coral at all. you will probably want some at some point, though:)

5. If you are talking about the all in one type of tanks, I don't really have an opinion there. you probably can buy everything separate for less money and get better stuff.

6. ocelaris clownfish are in the ballpark of 30 bucks or so id estimate.

7. that depends. in this hobby, you can spends thousands....lol. id say you could get a nice nano running for a few hundred bucks before livestock.

8. my maintenance routine goes like this:
daily
-watch your fish and enjoy! feed them no more than they will eat in a couple minutes.

weekly
-a 10% water change along with siphoning the detritus(leftover food and fish poo) from the bottom of the tank

that's really the majority of the maintenance you will be doing. a properly set up system doesn't require a ton of maintenance, but it does require regular attention. water changes are a must in a small system. once you get a routine down, they will become second nature. I do a water change on my 40g in about 15 minutes or so.

ill list some of the basics that are required for a tank, imo.

tank
stand
light
live rock
powerheads for water movement

that, along with periodic water changes will give you a real nice tank. tank and stand are self explanatory. the light depends on what ya wanna keep. for fish only, a regular aquarium single bulb hood will be fine. we can talk more if/when you want corals

live rock comes in a couple varieties. live and dry. there are advantagtes and disadvantages to each. id suggest getting some dry. it will be easier in the long run for ya. it will take a bit longer for your initial cycle, but you wont get any bad things in the tank that you don't want. youll want anywhere from 5 to 10 pounds for a 10 gallon tank.

for water movement, a couple nano powerheads is what you want. check out the hydor koralias ones at www.marinedepot.com

and last but not least, THE number one MOST important thing you can do for a successful tank is use the correct water. this is either distilled water from the grocery store or ro/di water. tap water really should not be used in a saltwater tank for several reasons. satwater creatures are much more sensitive to water conditions than freshwater fish. there are other things in tap water besides chlorine that are bad for our tanks. things like phosphates and nitrates will lead to algae problems and copper will kill any invertebrates like shrimp, crabs, snails, and coral. the best option is to get your own ro/di unit. www.spectrapure.com is the best, and the 90gpd refurbished one is the one you want. it really will save you money in the long run, but if you cant get it right now, id not use anything else besides distilled.

patience is a virtue in this hobby. don't rush anything and don't skimp or skip steps and you will end up with a nice looking tank. like I said earlier, a reef tank isn't a real complex thing and it doesn't have to be difficult. as long as it is set up right from the beginning! a little extra time now will pay off big later on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts