The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my torch now for almost 3 months and everynow and then it spews out black crude from its mouth.

I asked my friend what exactly was going on and he said that they need to poop somehow.. . .since then I haven't given it a second thought, it's usually almost fully spread out during the day, but I have noticed that when I compare mine to others, the tentacles are white, not the brownish that I see so often now. I was going through some of the forums here and found someone mentioning that what they are actually spewing is the bacteria that they host with. So which is right, and if my torch is clear and not dark brown like the others, will he be ok. Anything I can do?

Like I said, he seems to be fine, extending all the way during the day, sometimes at night he coils up very tightly like he would be spewing junk, but generally doesn't do it very often anymore. .

Thanks

Luke

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Not sure. My torch has pooped a couple of times tho I don't think its all that often and he has kept his color. What kind of lighting do you have it under?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts

Have you fed yours? Mine loves frozen mysis. I believe I have heard that too much lighting can bleach them as easily as too little but I am not positive. Yours does open up very nice tho. Maybe someone with a little more experience will chime in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My torch.. Have never seen my expel any waste?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It has good polyp extension, May want to try moving it up or down in the tank and see if that helps out. It may need more lighting.
It also likes a med flow area.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He never was that dark of a color, actually now that I think about it he was never dark at all, but he seems to always be doing fine.

Is it possible there are varieties of torches that are similar like the brown one that predominates in this thread. Is it possible that a clearer torch is perfectly healthy?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would say that it being clear its not 100% healthy. IMO its a light issue, its not getting what it needs from the light or like Jena says it could be too much light.
They do come in different colors but IMO a healthy coral is dark in color.
Here is a good read on zooxanthellate, food needed for most coral.
I think this is what your friend is refurring to as bacteria..
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-08/eb/index.php

1 - 11 of 11 Posts