The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm really bumbed out with this, parameters all checked out and i'm loosing heads periodicly, i'm thinking parasites , can't see any, disease?? maybe , anybody on this. Chemical warfare they're all farely far from each other or should i say from other different specimen. Hammers with hammers, torch and hammers are usually ok beside each other right. No fish attack that i noticed, or any inverts. sometime a slime seem to get on it just before it dies which to seems to be bacterian thats all of my observation. Pictures....i'm not particularly bright....i forgot that one lol. Thanks for your time guys. ( i write big for my iphone friends)

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Usually they are fine near the same species, but it is not a guarantee. Also, if there is other allelopathy (chemical warfare) going on in the tank, it could be affecting other corals even if they are not nearby. Most likely, I'd say brown jelly disease, which is probably the slime you are talking about. Are there any patterns you are noticing? eg the ones in higher flow/light are doing worse than others?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually they are fine near the same species, but it is not a guarantee. Also, if there is other allelopathy (chemical warfare) going on in the tank, it could be affecting other corals even if they are not nearby. Most likely, I'd say brown jelly disease, which is probably the slime you are talking about. Are there any patterns you are noticing? eg the ones in higher flow/light are doing worse than others?
If i understand your question right, it would be no, it doesn't matter where they are , high flow or low flow, low or high lights, low level or high levels, sometimes they're just inches away from each other one is doing great the other is dying. Thats what i don't get. And the one doing great will stay fine for months after, then all of a sudden will be the next one to go. I get the same MO, from others i've talked to about this . Its really a mystery.

My tank has a medium flow pretty much all around .

2 Tunze 6095 Flow rate: 550 to 2,500 USgal./h
1 Tunze 6105 Flow rate: 700 to abt. 3,400 USgal./h

Wavebox Flow rate: pulse surge max 2,500 USgal./h 1 inch wave at the other end.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks guys just found out that Brown Jelly Disease and found a good site for it here; http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/brown-jelly-syndrome-bjs--brown-band-disease-brb.html

A good site for references with pictures too .

Just did a dip in Coral RX should of seen the brown spots fall of , not flatworm but jelly types, it seems they were all inside and between my hammers and torches. all twelve of them. Look at that link. very interesting about other diseases and bacterias.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts