The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the LFS looking to pick up a clown fish but they didn't have any left - so I took home frags of torch and hammer corals. I have a 30 gal tank with 285 watts of VHO lighting. Where should I place them? The guy at the LFS said they would do OK low in the tank. Right now, I have the torch on the sandbed and it is expanding nicely. The hammer is still shriveled up. How much current will they like? Will they hurt each other if they touch or is it only with other species?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have my torch in high light and with med water flow and its doing great. When I purchased mine my LFS stated the torch likes the light and med water flow. Also when I purchased it he had it high in the tank and it was use to the high light, I was watching it for the last several weeks at the LFS drooling and I wanted something I could put in strong light because I had a space in my tank that needed something...and it does seem to like where I have it.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My frags came from what looked like a 55 gal lit with power compacts, they were towards the bottom of the tank. I gtuess that's why I placed them low in my tank as well. Just how much room should I give these guys anyway?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The LPS (Large Polyped Stony) is called a Hammer Coral. The base is a calcium structure or skeleton with large polyps made up of soft tissue. Each tentacle head resembles a hammer head in shape, and thus the name. LPS need moderate flow, good water conditions and decent lighting. VHO or PCs would suffice, but this piece has done well under MH and shown amazing growth. At night, the polyps deflate at least 75% from its normal daylight appearance. (from) http://melevsreef.com/id/lps.html

I have mine with some space.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
They can touch.

I have all my euphyllia under intense lighting. Very close to the top directly under my 400 watt MH and they are doing fantastic. I did have to acclimate them to that light level so be careful.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
yes they can touch, but they have sweeper tentacles which are longer thinner tentacles that flow around the coral to kill off any approching corals, so give them space, about 6" around either one, but they can touch. and they can sting anything else that is close, i lost some zoos and star polyps that got too close to my hammer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have read they can touch but my Torch stung the heck out of my branching hammer so I moved them apart.
My frogspawn and Hammer are good friends..
Good luck with the new corals. They are both nice additions to a tank.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone, I'll try to move them higher in the tank over the next few weeks. I'll post pics when the lights come on.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jason, I'm amazed at how much bigger they are when fully expanded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts