The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to know how everyone does their water changes. How often, how much, and easy tricks to make it not such a pain :angry: I spent another Saturday doing 75 gallons which takes a good chunk of time, especially when your dumping it out 5 gallons at a time and then pumping it back in 5 gallons at a time. I still need to do the seahorse tank which will be around 25-30 gallons, not so bad but still is a hassle.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I use a pump & long hose to pump out the tank. Then I pump new s/w back into the tank out of my 225 gal vat. It takes maybe 1/2 - 1 hr to clean & do w/c on two tanks (210 reef & 225 f/o) Ok, now the total truth. I send Troy to my house to clean & do w/c.

·
Registered
289 Posts
SSweet1 said:
I am wanting to know how everyone does their water changes. How often, how much, and easy tricks to make it not such a pain :angry: I spent another Saturday doing 75 gallons which takes a good chunk of time, especially when your dumping it out 5 gallons at a time and then pumping it back in 5 gallons at a time. I still need to do the seahorse tank which will be around 25-30 gallons, not so bad but still is a hassle.
Good idea for a topic SSweet1, We do need to setup topics for discussion at our meetings. We can get ideas from one another and also help out the new members with some of the processes of caring for an aquarium.
One other item IMO up for discussion at this meeting is a nomination for a president for the club. I love to see Mike come back to handle the position but if not it would be nice to be able to slap someone on the back and say how's it going Pres.
George

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I also do a WC the same way John does. I use a big magdrive and a long hose. I mix the salt and let it stir the day before then I drain the water from the tank into the street and pump the new water in the tank. I am going to get a brute can on wheels to make it easier. Also if you do more smaller WC you won't need to do a massive 75. Its quicker also

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I like the smaller more often WC. Not as hard on the corals.

Steve, if you find the wheels for a brute can you tell me where you got them. HD and Lowes did not have them last week.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think it is about time to nomination someone for president. Looking at all that everyone has done over the last few months it would be hard to pass over PelagicMagic for President. Anyway that is my vote.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, I wonder if Troy likes brownies/ cookies:D
My tank is 270 with another 45-50 gallons of sump/refugium. A vat that is so large like that would be nice to have, but where to put it is the problem. These 2- 35 gallon trash cans take up the whole laundry room as it is. I am thinking about making a tall acrylic holding tank plumbed to the sump and moving the rodi unit next to the tank as well for auto top off.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Do you have a garage? Thats where all my stuff is kept.

Thanks Mike, I accept your nomination. I would also like to see Mpdharley come back as president but if he does not want to I understand

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
PelagicMagic said:
I also do a WC the same way John does. I use a big magdrive and a long hose. I mix the salt and let it stir the day before then I drain the water from the tank into the street and pump the new water in the tank. I am going to get a brute can on wheels to make it easier. Also if you do more smaller WC you won't need to do a massive 75. Its quicker also
Steve, get the detachable wheels. Something about water & metal = rust. They have them at Ace, but they're cheaper at HD or Lowes. you really have to look for they as they tend to hide them. I think Granger also carries them. I would try the HD & Lowes @ Regency.They tend to have more stuff than the ones @ Girvin Rd. I stopped going to those, cause they never had what I needed

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
MikeAtJax said:
I like the smaller more often WC. Not as hard on the corals.

Steve, if you find the wheels for a brute can you tell me where you got them. HD and Lowes did not have them last week.
The Lowes on Lennox have them in stock.

I also saw some at the Lowes on Kingsley last week.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sweet I plumb my return pump with a off branch that I can secure when not in use and the discharge valve above that. This way I can open a valve, close a valve, I hook up a standard garden hose and pump the water to my toilet. On the refill get 2-3 55 gallon drums "Look under plastics theres a place on Phillips that carries them $35-40" Pipe a pump to them to where you can use it for circulating the water and pumping it back to the tank via a garden hose. If I'm not making sense ask me at the meeting "I should make it" and I will make you a drawing.
If your interested.

·
Registered
289 Posts
MikeAtJax said:
I think it is about time to nomination someone for president. Looking at all that everyone has done over the last few months it would be hard to pass over PelagicMagic for President. Anyway that is my vote.
I second the nomination, all in favor raise your hands. :wavey:
Steve's been handling quite a bit of the clubs functions lately'
and I believe he'll do a bang up job.
George

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
George, it sounds like you are spending some money on the web site. I hate to see you have to do that alone. Why don't you tell us what it has cost you so we can help chip in

1 - 19 of 19 Posts