The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask . i was at first doing frequent water changes. now ive decided to do a partcial change one time a month and do top offs threwout the week and clean the skimmer filter and such as needed for the month. well after testing i didnt find any need to do this sooner the water is great. My question is when i check the salt lvl is higher when i go to do the top off i know cause the water evaporates and so the level will be higher but in that case i add just fresh water no salt. this happens all month should that be an issue since im not adding in the elements and such with saltwater . Should i concider doing changes once every two weeks just to get some fresh elements into the tank or leave well enough alone. today i added more water tomorow its due for a water change anyways but the level i keep it at is usually 1.023 when i check it for a top off its at 1.026. I just wanna make sure im getting things right and if i should do the change more often or if just adding fresh non saltwater is gonna be fine. all lvls are normal. * i have my thermostat set to alarm if the temp drops to low or goes to high so the temp is never an issue. its set at 76 to 82. it stays at 79. everything seems happy and are growing just fine the anemone is getting really big and now both clowns are hosting it. i suppose if there doing good i shouldnt change what im doing but looks can be deceiving lol. my encrusted star polyps have been moved tons of times to find a good spot for them to open and now they are open fully looking good. thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
hey

how big is ur tank??if its a nano i would do them at least once every 2 weeks or preferably week ..and if its a bigger tank i would still do them at least once every 2 weeks

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
You should be topping off more often. You don't want the salinity to swing form 1.023 to 1.026 and back. If you can't install an ATO system, you can fill a gallon jug with RO/DI water and keep it next to the tank. Just pour a little in every day to keep the water level in the tank constant.

From your pic's it looks like your tank is around 30gl. Do you have a sump? If the total water volume is around 30gl, I would not go a month between water changes. Small water volumes don't provide a large reserve of trace elements to pull from, and pollutants build up pretty fast. I would at least do a small water change every two weeks.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I agree w/ EC. Water changes at least every 2 weeks. Also, only use ro/di water for top-off (not saltwater), the salt doesn't evaporate and you don't want the sg to go up every time you top-off.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right i have been toping off was every few days with fresh ro/di water. been kinda busy so last two weeks was i did it one time a wweek. its a 26g bowfront. has a large skimmer on back no sump. with a powerhead and filter so theres lots of circulation. i think i will go back to doing a water change every two weeks. for a 26g what do u recoment about 4g every two weeks or should it be more like 5g i usually keep 10g on hand. i just did my 10g tank and have pinapple sponges growing in there now but it also has no sand. not on purpose just last time i went to the store they only had 20lbs of sand for sale and i dont want that much.
Until now i only added saltwater when i did a water change not for top off cause i always check the salt lvl before i add water.
Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i forgot to ask i have hermit crabs and snails and such but not really anything that sifts the sand when i do my bigger changes i move the sand around kinda mix it up and then us a sypon to drain some water out then add my fresh water should i not be messing with the sand or is this a good thing since i dont have anything to do it for me. also my green mushroom decided it didnt like its spot and detached from its rock in now lives behind the liverock with very little light. should i attempt to move him or leave him since hes still opening and such just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts