The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
If its tap water, I wouldn't use it at all. Even though you are conditioning it, everything is still in the water. If you can't get an RO/DI unit, you would be better off to get Distilled water from walmart or RO/DI water from your LFS.

If it were RO/DI or Distilled, it doesn't really have a shelf life if its sealed. But with it being conditioned tap water, about a week would be the limit.

· Registered
717 Posts
well you use tap water for eveything? if you do i'd say at leat a month or more since tap water gets better with age in some respects.
I was thinking the same thing...although I am always a little leary of tap water...at .83 cents a gollon I would keep distiled for top off....of course I am confused to how they could wait that long to top off...I need to add about a gallon every two days...

· Registered
717 Posts
So If my levels are good I can just dump Ro water in my tank.?
You are speaking of top off water...top off water is used to replace water loss due to evaporation.....the salinity stays the same because the water evporates but not the salt.....the other elements in the water pretty much stays the same.....if you are talking water change then you need salt water.....do you test the SG of your water?.....thats a indicator of what may or may not be added...

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
You don't need a buffer for RO/DI for top offs. And don't worry with the pH, its not as big an issue as you think it may be. If your tank gets low from evaporation, fill it back up with RO/DI or distilled and thats it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.