The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted a big magna float for my 55 cuz i figured the bigger would mean less work for me....ooo was i wrong!
i could barely get this thing to move, i needed two hands to drag it across the glass, i almost thought the glass would come off lol
the magna float i got was for a 125 gallon tank...ahh i didnt know
so can i use the same one i use on my 10 gallon? i rinse it after each use, but can it transfer "germs" or other ickies to my 55??
its small and easy to glide :funny:

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless you don't have any undesirables in your 10 gallon. Besides I think that the glass thickness b/w the 10 and 55 gallon is different enough that the one from the 10 gallon may not be strong enough. safest bet would be to return the too large cleaning magnet for the proper size. JMO though

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I don't remember who was saying this but someone had a mag float for
1 1/2" - 2" thick glass. They let it come together outside of the tank and they had to use a prybar to get them loose the magnet was so strong.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol thats hesterical

ive seen big ones sold online for 1,000 gallon tanks, they cost alot too like $200 bux :funny:

i imagine the stregnth of those!

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my little mag float snapped my fingers and dang it hurt :eek: :funny:

since then i keep the magnets seperated on opposite sides of the room lol
this big one is seperated too but to put it away theyll have to come together yikes! i think im gonna use a broom handle haha

·
Registered
482 Posts
i remember playing around with one at the store when i was first getting into reefing... this was several years ago... and the shop keeper reminded me that the magnet was super strong, im guessing it was made for several hundred gallon tanks, well i ended up smashing the corner of my pinky between the two magnets... it was swollen for sometime and i dont thing they ever got them appart again. it was funny because the man just looked at me as if he felt my pain because he had done the same thing.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
these things are dangerous!
you can rob a bank with a super mag float hahaha
i wonder if they ever did serious damage to tanks
i know my little one scratched the glass on my 10g. i got too close to the sand i guess and a grain got under the mag float. guess i didnt learn cuz theres scratches everywhere :doh:

seriously they should come with warning labels :funny:

·
Registered
482 Posts
i used my mini mag float on an eclipse 12 and surprisingly it didnt scratch it, when my finger did... and i wasnt using my nail.. strange maybe the mini is extra soft or something.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if we cant mag float close to the sand what do we do??
it looks funny with all clean glass and then the bottom inch is icky lol
sometimes the snails get to it but i dont think their too bright.
i almost knocked out my cleaner shrimp once with it. i was putting the mag in the water when it grabbed hold, that cleaner almost was flattened! ew that would have been gross, a shrimp wedged between the mag and the glass...i would have taken a pic :banana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts