The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up a 30 gallon Oceanic cube with 10 gallon sump, and I need some advice. I got a good deal on a Lifereef overflow (700 GPH) and a Mag 9.5, rated at about 700 GPH with 5 ft of head. In order to create random flow in the tank, I'm thinking I will split the return flow. One split will go to a Hydor rotating output. The other split will go to an switching current water director with 2 outputs. This brings the total to 3 outputs with 2 running at any one time. A few questions:

1) Is a mag 9.5 too much flow for this small tank in the first place? If so, should I downgrade to mag 7 or mag 5? Is this too much flow for my overflow to handle? Will I end up with an empty sump and overflowing tank?
2) I've heard mixed feedback on the SCWD's. How often do they oscillate? Are these junk or do they work? I also heard the Hydor's were junk before I bought one, but I think they're great.
3) I've got soft corals now: leathers, zoas, shrooms, rics, xenia. Are these going to get blown away with too much flow? Will my 2 maroon clowns get blown away?
4) Does the Hydor + SCWD sound like a good idea? Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
the scwd will reduce the flow quite a bit in some cases almost by half, so if you have it pumping up and splitting into two sources, that might not be enough. I have a scwd an dlove it, and the switching all depends on how much flow is going thu it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
CGill311 said:
1) Is a mag 9.5 too much flow for this small tank in the first place? If so, should I downgrade to mag 7 or mag 5? Is this too much flow for my overflow to handle? Will I end up with an empty sump and overflowing tank?
You'll be fine with the 9.5... the SCWD is also going to restrict your output pretty significantly.


CGill311 said:
2) I've heard mixed feedback on the SCWD's. How often do they oscillate? Are these junk or do they work? I also heard the Hydor's were junk before I bought one, but I think they're great.
The rate the SCWD will oscillate depends on the ammount of flow going thru it.
Hydors: Ive used them in the past. I ended up taking them back out because I was tired of cleaning them all the time. As long as you keep them clean, they work great. The one left in my tank now is stuck and just pushes water out sideways because I refuse to clean it. lol

CGill311 said:
3) I've got soft corals now: leathers, zoas, shrooms, rics, xenia. Are these going to get blown away with too much flow? Will my 2 maroon clowns get blown away?
I still believe that with the splits/SCWD, your flow is going to be less than you might think. They should be fine but the best test is to power that baby up and watch!

CGill311 said:
4) Does the Hydor + SCWD sound like a good idea? Any suggestions?
Sounds good to me.... let it run and take some pics!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top