The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm setting up a standard 55 gallon mixed reef. I want to do something different, so I'm doing mainly biological filtration, with a refugium HOB. However, right now I only have 1 550gph powerhead. So naturally, I'm looking to get another powerhead or two in the near future, eventually run another. And have 4 in total. 2 550gph pumps and 2 1300gph pumps.

Would that be too much flow? And if not, how should I set them up, I plan on having coral that desire heavy flow while others desire lower flow, and I'd like to keep several fish as well. if 1300 is too much, what should I go down to? Maybe 2 550s and 2 750s? Then I was thinking of putting them on 5 minute intervals to imitate the tide going left and right. But I'm new to reefing so I'm not sure. Could anyone help me on what size powerheads, how many, and where to place them? Thanks!
-Thomas

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
it will be a lot of flow, but remember we want a lot of low velocity flow, so what your listing would put you about 63x turnover an hour, IMO it would be great for SPS, and SOME softies and maybe LPS, but with that much flow it might be hard to find gentle areas.

Running a mix reef IME is not an easy thing to do, mixed reefs in our sense of the word do not occur in the wild, so it requires a great deal of balance from all sides, flow, flow patterns, nutrient levels, light levels, light spectrums and so on...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.