The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again to everyone. I need your help and advice as I'm still learning much about corals. I got a leather toadstool coral about 2 weeks ago. It looked fine for several days then closed up and didn't reopen about 3 days ago. I've heard this is normal and it may shed, however my concern is that it is now forming these white looking dots or patches on it, kind of like a calcium deposit...is this bad?

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
nope- are you clicking manage attachments and uploading the image?
I'd do it for you, but I don't have my laptop with me and I couldn't resize the image if that's what it needs.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Mine has done that and been fine. In my toadstool the white spots were actually part of the polyp slightly emerged. It might be getting ready for a big slime.

What are your tank conditions? temp? salinity? pH? Nitrates? Ammonia? water flow? lighting? Welcome to TRT! :)

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
It does not look happy. Tell us everything about your tank. What is your water testing at? Are you adding anything to you tank? How are you doing tank maintenance?

These corals do look bad sometimes and bounce right back.

·
feet/ankles/fish
330 Posts
I think a big issue with softies like the leather corals is carbonate hardness, or KH. I had the same issue with my devil's hand for a while and that is when I switched to using RODI water and testing KH.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I do about a 10% water change each week, it's a 40 gal tank and been up for about 6 months. I have a canister filter below that I just have sponge material in for debris and a mesh bag of phosphate removal beads. The rest is all live rock and my protein skimmer. I only have two fish, a scotts fairy wrasse and a sixline wrasse. Coral wise I have a xenia and a long tentacle plate, both of which are very happy. My tank stats are: 76 degrees, 1.024 sg, 8.1 ph, ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates about 5 and going down, phosphate 0, calcium 420. I add supplements regulary plus iodine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, my water flow I'd say is moderate, not really heavy on the guy but not stagnant either, I have a 150 watt metal halide in my canopy. KH is about 12 and no idea how to get that down if it's too high. I only use RODI water.

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
If your other corals look good, then I wouldn't worry too much. I do think 76 is a bit cold for a reef tank. 78 is good, but I prefer 80.

Be careful dosing Iodine- most people say that if you are doing regular water changes, then dosing iodine is not needed because it is replenished in the water change. Just make sure you are testing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a "gold crown toadstool" leather coral which looked similar to yours. I grew it from a pinky-sized frag to an 8-inch diameter coral in a matter of six months or so. (I later sold it when I sold my entire setup, so I don't know its ultimate fate).

However, I did have a few scares along the way. As you noted, leathers are known for periods of inactivity where they slough off a layer of slime and debris. Mine would stay shut for nearly a week at a time when doing this, all the while I was biting my nails in worry.

Another thing is water flow..my leather did not like strong direct currents blowing across its polyps. A more gentle or indirect flow seemed to make it happy. Also, hermit crabs or shrimp crawling across its head will irritate it and cause it to retract for a period of time.

And finally...the most subjective of all...iodine. I dosed fairly regularly with iodine, but would forget every once in a while. An immediate dose of iodine after a long period without would sometimes cause my leather to come out and lead to a period of increased growth.

Good luck with yours...

Aleks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although I did read somewhere that toadies don't like the use of Aluminum based phosphate removers like I use.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i got a frag about a month ago and in the past week it has been doing the same thing less the white spots though and today it opened back up and even looks bigger .

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
drdeco said:
Although I did read somewhere that toadies don't like the use of Aluminum based phosphate removers like I use.
It might be best to swith to the iron based phosphate media (red colored).

Most corals and inverts have a very hard time with aluminum due to it's toxicity.

Welcome to TRT! :WAVEY:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a really old thred but for people reading it in the future, phophate media seems to harm leather corals. I just added Phos-zorb into my canister filter and my leather exploded with white patches almost immediately. From reading other forums these symptomps seem to appear the day after adding the media.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts