The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may now I woke up yesterday moring to find my toadstool coral discolored in some areas. The coral is like a white skin and has golden tentacles. But now it is getting drown in some areas. I basted it, but othing came off. It has been closed for about a week now.

Does anybody know if its shedding or has anybody heard of this happening before? all my other corals are extending reallly well today.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
John can you post a pic please ? if possible a pic when it was healty and a current one. Leathers can be moody but mine usually only close up for 2-3 days when shedding

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cameras broken.

it used to look like this but now its closed and the smooth are has dark brown spots on it.

·
11,345 Posts
IME shedding usually happens faster than that. Leathers usually get ticked off and then will shed the next day or two or three then start to open back up after a couple of days

Hey, john, didnt you have a problem the other day with the frogspawn or torch or hammer or something???? What conclusion did you come to on it???

Just wondering what is changing in your system that may be causing negatives.........

pics would help......

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fly Guy said:
IME shedding usually happens faster than that. Leathers usually get ticked off and then will shed the next day or two or three then start to open back up after a couple of days

Hey, john, didnt you have a problem the other day with the frogspawn or torch or hammer or something???? What conclusion did you come to on it???

Just wondering what is changing in your system that may be causing negatives.........

pics would help......
Nothing has changed. All otheer corals are fine. I defeated sand cyno after repetitive vacmongs.
Im concerned whats going on?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fly Guy said:
Do refresh my memory on your issue the other day though.......
it was about this toadstool....... same thing... except nobody offered any help

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Are the spots like brown pimples? for lack of a pic mine will look like that a few days little brown spots where the tenticles come out.
Have you done any waterchanges since it started acting up?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dobejazz said:
Are the spots like brown pimples? for lack of a pic mine will look like that a few days little brown spots where the tenticles come out.
Have you done any waterchanges since it started acting up?
ya 2

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Is the toadstool shrivelled up (with wrinkles visable), unexpanded without polyps out, or expanded without polyps out? Hard to give advice without more info. I have had toadstools do that for a week or two and then come back slowly. It is not a good sign if it lasts longer than a week. Something has probably upset it, I would continue with the water changes and make sure that nothing is stinging the toadstool. Another possibility would be an infection of some sort, in which case an iodine dip might help - not quite sure about that, someone help out here. Without more info, I would say do water changes and wait it out until you find somthing to fix.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Our toadstool did that about a month or 2 ago. It was pale, no tentacles out and shrivelled up. It was shedding and did have a baby toadstool come out near it. Then it completely unattached itself from the rock it was attached to. I found it on the bottom of the tank. I took that to mean it was unhappy where had been. (It was somewhat close to a frogspawn which I think was stinging it.) I glued it to a new rock and placed it in a different part of the tank. It took a day or two to come around and then tentacles started reappearring. It looks great now. So does it's baby.

Good luck and keep us posted. You may want to try moving it. Maybe it is not happy with the flow its getting.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I doubt the zoas have had any effect on the toadstool. If it's just unexpanded and not shrivelled up, I wouldn't do anything drastic. Maybe increase the flow around it or run some carbon. Just be patient.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys. if it stays closed for more tan another week or so, Ill consider infection. ut now, Ill just sit on my hands.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
just give it time, my toadstool acts funny from time to time. The only time I was worried is when sections of the base started to turn white on me. I figure that the best thing to do was cut the decaying portion off and its been great ever since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts