The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Harbinger of Salt
874 Posts
Toadstools unlike many softies require intense lighting. You may try moving it higher up in the tank closer to the water surface and see if that helps. Also they like moderate flow so make sure its not in a "stagnant" area of the water collumn. One good thing is these guys are seemingly bulletproof and will come back to its former beauty once it gets the parameters it needs.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Toadstools unlike many softies require intense lighting. You may try moving it higher up in the tank closer to the water surface and see if that helps. Also they like moderate flow so make sure its not in a "stagnant" area of the water collumn. One good thing is these guys are seemingly bulletproof and will come back to its former beauty once it gets the parameters it needs.
Well, as a blanket statement; "Toadstools unlike many softies require intense lighting." I disagree. My toadstool always did best under moderate light i.e. stock compacts on biocube and regular T5 not HO. Under more intense light mine suffered and before I put the pieces of the puzzle together it was too late. Also, I found Alk to be somewhat of a factor. Below 10 also affected it. Mine like 11-12 ppm.
Stock lights in biocube;

Regular T5 in 55 gal.

·
Harbinger of Salt
874 Posts
Could be true in your case indeed Mrplum. In my experiences with them anytime I had mine placed lower in the tank (i have a tall tank, and my last tank was a showcase tall as well), mine suffered and I had to place them closer to the light then they would bounce back almost overnight. I have had similar experiences with other leather varieties as well The lighting I have now are LEDs and my previous were T12 VHO. I do agree Alk could be a factor as well. Strange that yours do good in lower lighting where as mine suffer.

·
Harbinger of Salt
874 Posts
Oh and what I mean about mine having to sit high up, I mean I have to keep mine up the same level as my acros and montis... :arg:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hi

i dont think it is shedding as it has been like this for a couple of months.
Sorry I misunderstood your post. I figured you had it in for a couple of months and now it looks like the photo. What are your water parameters? What size tank and lighting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts