The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the annual water report from our local city water company. It shows the general stats of the water that we get through the tap. I was wondering how many others out there get one and what stats you see.

ours show:
Lead 12 ppb
Copper .35 ppm
Nitrate .7 ppm (.02-.7)
Sodium9.9 ppm (2.5-9.9)
Barium ND-.006 ppm
Selenium ND-2.0

We are lucky to have some pristine natural water sources so our water is actually not filtered, only treated for the normal natural contanimants. This makes it very stable with the PH almost perfectly at netural (7.0). this also make our fish tank water much easier to maintain... How is everyone else doin?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Good question. I will certainly keep an eye out for mine in the mail. I know they send it out at least once a year. Maybe I can just call down there even....

·
Super Moderator
27,048 Posts
I just looked up our report on line. That pdf was from a 2004 testing. I'll see if I can find something more up-to-date.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Living in florida all water is hard. I installed a 25 gpd homedepot ge ro system. this thing is great it is connected to the fridege and has a water dispenser. i fill a one gal contaner ever two days for top off.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
ChrisPrusha said:
Well water here. The water is so crunchy it'll put hair on your chest. :D
LOLOL!!!

:funny:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Roebuck water district here has water at 40 tds as per my monitor for incoming mains water, dunno what the primary contaminants are, but I get a good bit of red clay showing up on the first filter of the Spectrapure. Mine goes up the day after it rains hard for a few days to about 50 or 60, then trails down to 35 to 40 again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wiskey said:
I don't even want to know, I can tell you that during the summer the TDS comes in at over 1,000 (seen it as high as 1,900), during the winter it is around 600, I am not sure why the variance, but it happens.

Whiskey
WOW!! Isn't way higher than what the EPA allows??

I found the report on the cities website but it's a little too confusing for me...

This is what I understood

Nitrate .41ppm
Sodium 4.47
Lead 15ppb
Copper 1300 ppb

Sooooo what is PPB and is 1300 high??

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ppb + part per billion and yes 1300 is high.

most of the water contanimants are only bad for children in the standard concentrations.

Chris... Could you send me some of that water, I need some more hair on my chest... :D

·
Super Moderator
27,048 Posts
For now, here's the Spartanburg Water System report, 2004, as pdf. I still want to get a more recent report than this.

·
Super Moderator
27,048 Posts
Thanks, Ryan. I didn't understand one bit of it :lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Twitterbait said:
I just got the annual water report from our local city water company. It shows the general stats of the water that we get through the tap. I was wondering how many others out there get one and what stats you see.

ours show:
Lead 12 ppb
Copper .35 ppm
Nitrate .7 ppm (.02-.7)
Sodium9.9 ppm (2.5-9.9)
Barium ND-.006 ppm
Selenium ND-2.0

We are lucky to have some pristine natural water sources so our water is actually not filtered, only treated for the normal natural contanimants. This makes it very stable with the PH almost perfectly at netural (7.0). this also make our fish tank water much easier to maintain... How is everyone else doin?
Does this meen that you dont use a RO/DI unit Twit? ...hehehe sorry couldnt help the shorthand fun with your alias.

Jay

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No prob Jay... Even with the best city water systems i wouldn't go without one. I never used any filtration with my FW tanks but I can survive without my RO/DI on my SPS reef.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts