The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished upgrading to a 120 gallon and used Reef Crystals to fill the 120 Gallon since its what I was using.

Well I forgot about the crap it leaves behind after mixing it (got too excited to setup new tank), and bam I had that sludge in my 120 gallon and a week later still cleaning some of it out of my 120.

So I'm deciding switching over to Aqua Vitro Salinity any thoughts?

I'm just tired of dealing with the sludge in my Brute can after every batch I make.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I loved salinity when I was able to use it (it is only sold in stores, not available by mail order). Mixes clear and clean and there is a sticker on the bucket listing the exact parameters of every bucket. A good salt but a lot more spendy than RC.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I loved salinity when I was able to use it (it is only sold in stores, not available by mail order). Mixes clear and clean and there is a sticker on the bucket listing the exact parameters of every bucket. A good salt but a lot more spendy than RC.
Thank you for that information.

The price difference is $18 at my LFS. When you think about it probably a bit less. Since my RC doesn't really make 200 gallons when I mix it to 1.026.

The Salinity bucket says 225 mixed at 1.026 so maybe it will even out.

Have you tried contacting them?

http://sdlocator.seachem.com/AVLocator/DealerLocatorStart.php

Says if there isn't a local dealer to contact them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How established is your 120? Any corals yet? switching salts may cause the corals to react negatively.

From my experience - I started out on IO reef crystals as well because it was cheap, easy to mix. I then got sucked into the red sea marketing campaign and switched to coral pro. within a month my SPS started having problems.

Even though I mixed it to 1.026 (and IO was 1.026) - there's something about switching salts that causes a change in the system (maybe it's more carbonate hardness, maybe the calcium or magnesium - maybe it's just one of the many mysteries of our hobby).

I ended up switching to ESV b-Ionic salt. for artificial saltwater - I think it's the best as your only adding base elements and have the purest form of sea water available. there's no requirements for binders or other agents like are used in other mixes.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
salts

I've noticed the more expensive salts have higher contents of Alkalinity and Calcium which may cause a negative reaction in livestock. Some tanks actually work better with the plainer salts out there as there livestock is not taking the elements out fast enough to keep up with the intake of Alkalinity and Calcium through water changes. This is dependant on context. What kind of livestock do you have? Is it heavily stocked with corals/clams or no?

John Riker

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
No brainier TRT is much nicer then RC!
Very funny George....my knee jerk reaction was the other forum as well.

I'm subscribing to this thread.

I'm am past angry with the Reef Crystals and will check out the other products listed above. I just wish we had some users close by so a group buy could save on shipping @ least.

And Ted...I will keep some salt on hand to do slow turn over to whatever new salt I find.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
I switched to RC from regular IO because regular IO consistently had extremely high alk for me.. I switched to regular IO from Kent because Kent consistantly had sky-high calcium.... Now I will probably go back to regular IO and just use an acid to drop the alk.. RC has sky-high potassium.... ::sigh::

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
James....yours is a neat idea. I just wonder if I'll have a good mix with less chalk.

My problem with all this 'what's in my salt' is reading color charts to determine levels of the important elements.

We can perform double lung transplants, send a 5" clam from MD to OR to arrive alive, but someone can't develop a digital meter for alk & mag.:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.