The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have been doing tons of reasearch over the past week and i have been reading alot of what eric b had ben writing in the pasy 3 yrs... now when we skim 24/7 we take a alot of zooplanktn out of our tanks meaning less food for our critters...what is everyones opionon on skimming 24/7......and what do you think about mabe running the skimmer 1 day a week or 1 week out of the month?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yer in da rong forum, fren. That'd be reefcentral, war day tink yur tank makes its own planktin. Here day zap'em wit UV-rays an vacuum 'em all out!
-Apologies to Bomber, I mean, Spanky!
:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
mnreefman said:
... now when we skim 24/7 we take a alot of zooplanktn out of our tanks meaning less food for our critters...
A protein skimmer is not likely to remove zooplankton. Especially not to any significant end. Not enough to make a difference in coral feeding...

I skim 24/7... too many organics are being produced by a system's bioload to have it not be desireable and outweigh any negative impact on food supply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's curious, though. I'm looking into buying a skimmer, and the manufacturer is cautioning me that I don't want to get their more expensive model, as "you don't want to overskim" a tank.
Hmmm. Where's this idea coming from?

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
That is new, I didn't think you could really overskim a tank. However, I do feed my tank a supplemental Phytoplankton and once a week I drip a ton of phyto and turn off all the pumps. My clams seem to like that . I am on the verge of going every other day on feeding my tank though.

Ray

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
From every day. It gets fed coral/fish mush daily. And a major target feed of phyto once a week.

Ray

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
Personally I feel a skimmer is a very useful tool, esp on a new setup. It can help keep excess nutrient levels down in a new system. As the tank matures and if you have copious quantities of detrivore, herbivores and some form of export and some reasonable compromise balance happening one could ween the tank off the skimmer and let the other methods, ie macro algae or whatever, take precedence.
Again I feel the trick is to learn as much about the dynamics of the method you use whether its Live Rock/sand, DSB, turf scrubber, macro sump, etc. Knowing as much as possible about the pros and cons of the system of choice and working around them will hopefully yeild satisfactory results.
Again I caution examine and determine the source of trouble and treat the cause, not go for temp fix on symptoms

1 - 8 of 8 Posts