The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is going through the the green algae phase and every day there is algae on the rocks and glass. THere are currently only 3 large turbos in the tank. I scrape the front glass every day but wonder if I should leave it for the snails to eat as my scraping is just spreading it in the tank. There are plates covering the sand that I remove every day and scrape the algae outside the tank (the ghetto temporary ATS during curing and cycling).
specs
30 long, t5 39wx4, octopus skimmer, 3.5 inch sb

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
when i had bad algae a lot, i'd let it get thick on the glass and take a razor blade and scrape it off in long sheets, then scoop it out with a net so it wouldn't rot and release stuff back into the water... if i used a scrubby to scrape, i'd do it just before a WC.

i'm sure it helps a little.... algae is just one of those things. it goes away soon enough as your water quality gets better.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a brine shrimp net to get what I can, but I miss some since I scrape it every day and its thin. The tank has never been fed a scrap of food but I am curing rock in tank and thus that is where the nutrients are coming from.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Scrape, harvesting the algae is the only way to remove the nutients (trapped by the algae for growth) from the water, as it grows some of it dies and breaks down releasing the nutrients used to grow back into the water. If you are using a sump buy a sock or two and run your overflow into the sock, change it ever day or two depending on how much you scrape off & catch. You don't want to trap it in the sock/water and allow it to decompose, you want it out of the loop.
You can also reduce the photoperiod if not turn off the light, you dont need light to cure rock, just time, filtration and patience.
You can also reduce the nutrient load in the water by doing frequent WC, and skimming a bit on the wet side. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you have corals. Scraping algae is a free feeding of phyto plankton. I don't remove algae. If you have tons then removing it may be a good idea, but I would take some of it and grind it up and put it in the tank for your phyto eating corals to eat.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are using a sump buy a sock or two and run your overflow into the sock, change it ever day or two depending on how much you scrape off & catch. You don't want to trap it in the sock/water and allow it to decompose, you want it out of the loop.
You can also reduce the photoperiod if not turn off the light, you dont need light to cure rock, just time, filtration and patience.
You can also reduce the nutrient load in the water by doing frequent WC, and skimming a bit on the wet side. Hope this helps and good luck.
no sump so no sock, I like the light on for CMA and a bit of sponge. I understand the logic of what you are saying but I feel leaving the light off is only delaying dealing w/ the algae prob IMHO. The algae that grows on the plates covering the sand is easy nutrient export as well. :D

If you have corals. Scraping algae is a free feeding of phyto plankton. I don't remove algae. If you have tons then removing it may be a good idea, but I would take some of it and grind it up and put it in the tank for your phyto eating corals to eat.
no corals yet, I move very slowly, but I will keep that in mind when I get them:idea:

for now I have increased skimming, I change 5 gallons every 5-7 days w/ sw from LFS and top off with thier ro/di water. when I get some more accurate testing supplies I would like to see what their water is like. thanks to everyone for their input

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
jenglish, stick with it you are on the right track. take your time and let the water tell you when the tank is ready. Hang in!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
You mite be on to something!Design a net with a scraper attach,so as you scrape it goes into the net!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm.... I do have a Magnum 350 sitting in my shed. If I bought a new micron filter (I don't trust the old one) I could vaccuum and return the water. That may be a worthy saturday project.:idea: It came with a siphon attachment.. a credit card, a little epoxy... a couple of beers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hmmm, this is a new tank I assume since it has never been fed. I would guess you might be going through a diatom bloom, in which case removing it might make it last longer. Then again there is a chance it is normal algae as well.

Hard to say without a picture. The plate comment both confuses me and leads me to suspect something else might be at play. Just curious, why are there plates on your sand?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, the diatom bloom is more brown and has come and gone. THe function of the plates is when breaking in a tank algae blooms are inevitable and sand is hard to scrape! When the algae grows it grows on plates or even better sheets of plastic or acrylic and not on the sand. The plates are removed every day and cleaned. It functions as an impromptu ATS just during the break in cycle. Of course it looks ghetto, but its only for a few weeks during startup.;)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
How are you washing the plates? Not saying you aren't careful, but detergents/drying agents can leave chemical residues including phosphates, just thinking out loud. Love to see a pic.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
washing is probably an exxageration, scraping them under running tap water is all I reall am doing. So all the chemical that are going in this way are a few drops of tap water that I can't shake off.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I like the Magnum plan. It sounds like something another member did on here where he used a filter sock and powerhead and basically made a poerwashing vacuum device with airline tubing that coulb get the detritus off the rocks and into the sock. It was pretty ingenious as well.

Best of luck if you decide to experiment with it.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Wow that sounds like avery special moment when you opened it, in the shed how long? Maybe 20% bleach. Well as they say "if it doesn't kill you....." now you'll be able to say "you think that smells bad well let me tell you what bad smells like".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts