The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 35 hexagon tank with a fluval 405. I have had it running for over a year now and my coral seems to have a lifespan of about 1 month. 2 if I'm lucky. I have tested my water and my parameters are all where they should be. I have tested for everything. Salinity is at 1.025 and i have a kessel a350 light. I have tried just about every setting on the light. I have checked for predators in my tank and have none. the only fish i have are clownfish. I have crabs and snails but nothing that would kill coral. What i have noticed is my corals do not ever fully open up. I have only tried to keep the easy corals such as acans zooanthids frogspawns and stuff like that. Nothing complicated. Everything seems to die though. As you can probably guess this is extremely frustrating. The only thing i can think now is that my filter is made for a 70 gallon tank so maybe the flow is to high to maintain these corals? any help would be appreciated. thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
that filter is rated for 350 gallon per hour. if anything, that's not enough flow :)

how do you have the return flow entering the tank, waht does the water movement in the tank look like?

generally, external cannister filters are not used on a reeftank, as they pretty much just trap all the dirt, and keep it rotting in the water, instead of removing it.
unless you clean it regularly, it's probably not helping you much.

you say that all your parameters are where they should be, can you list them out, what did you test for and what were the results?

what type of water do you use?

any picture of the whole tank setup?

J.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts